Using Alert()

FWIW, I would love to see that functionality in the user-set Dynamic Property pop-up boxes. For example, I have an automated set-up that first asks which player sides are in the game, setting a dynamic property selected from a list for which setup definitely needs to pause, then asks the user to name each player, during which time it would be much better if setup proceeded regardless of the name input.

I come from the world of UI design so I guess I’m especially cognizant of these types of things. How would you end up with tons of dialog boxes on top of each other? To prevent that, don’t let the player do anything else unless he clicks OK. I’d prefer it that way anyway. Just don’t halt the processing in the background. Then Alert becomes a great way to mask slow modules…

The timer is a nice-to-have, but again in the world of UI, we prefer to force them to click OK - even though end users still don’t read the pop-up half the time anyway…

If you allow Alert() boxes to not halt Vassal, then a later Alert() box will pop up another one over the top of the first before you close it. If you are using non-modal Alert() boxes to debug, and 100 units pop them up in response to a GKC, then you will have 100 Alert() boxing appearing at the same time on top of each other. I am just saying you would need to be careful in the use of the non-modal boxes and use the standard Modal boxes for debugging.