Vassal 3.2.6 and Java 7 update 25

For what it’s worth, I am experiencing the same problem on my Mac with Vassal after updating to Java for OS X 2013-004 this morning.<

Sorry to hear that crimedog.

Kevin

Thus spake kankoviak:

I do think I have some old versions of vasl lying around. Should I dump
them?

As you wish. It doesn’t matter for troubleshooting the problem.

J.

Same exact problem here however I thought it was Java 7/25 so I updated. Still same problem.

I wish I could give more specifics as to when/where this started happening but I have been away for a week and just tried getting back to my Vassal games today. As of 6/10 everything was still working.

Last time vassal worked for me was June 11th. I was also away for a week or so. Stopped working yesterday June 19th. Can’t be os 10.8.4 since I updated to that version on June 5th.

Kevin

I’m running Mac OS X 10.6.8, and the just-applied “Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 16” did the same thing to me. :imp: It was working earlier in the day.

It appears this may be a widespread problem - at least one other application was killed by this update: geneious.com/web/geneious/ne … neious-mac

I have the same problem this morning.

Model: iMac
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz
Memory: 3G.5 B
VASSAL: 3.2.6
Java: 1.6.0_51

I have found that the VASSAL windows are not refreshing. They will refresh if I LHMC the VASSAL menu bar (e.g. click Help). For example, run vassal, click VASSAL->About from menu, splash screen appears but is completely blank, click on vassal menu bar, splash screen fills with image. So there is a problem with screen refresh it seems.

Ricky

I’m seeing the same problem with both 3.2.6 and 3.1.20. I hope a fix for 3.1 is possible as well, since many modules don’t work with 3.2.

Can you name some? I can’t say I’m aware of anything other than VASL that doesn’t work in VASSAL 3.2.

Twilight Struggle deluxe.

But if it was just VASL, that would still seem like a lot!

Oh yeah, I forgot about TS. While prominent, that’s still just 2 from hundreds upon hundreds of modules–the vast majority of which contain no custom code like those do.

“Many” is an exaggeration, but those two do have a disproportionate importance for me.

I have the same problem since Apple pushed the latest OS update (10.8.4).
The module window is frozen.

This might be relevant to a fix: discussions.apple.com/message/22298067#22298067

Here’s another > stackoverflow.com/questions/1721 … e-1-6-0-51

It appears Apple’s Java update does something to the GUI and Screen Refresh code. Thanks Apple :imp: At least I’ve caught my updater before it applied the latest.

Here’s a link where the geneious developer says what he found the problem to be: discussions.apple.com/thread/51 … 0&tstart=0

Hope that helps with the fixing!

I had some time to kill while my daughter was napping, so made the suggested adjustment. I’m uploading a test build now, but it’s going over my phone so will take quite some time. Check our builds directory in an hour or two for VASSAL-3.2.7-svn8768-7u25bug-macosx.dmg.

Removing Java update 25 and reinstalling the earlier Java fixed the problem for me. Vassal running as before. Thanks so much, guys!

What is up? I am having the same problem. Any solutions to this?

Thus spake frywonger:

What is up? I am having the same problem. Any solutions to this?

Try the test build I linked to a few posts up.

J.