The VASSAL Team is happy to announce the release of VASSAL 3.3.0-beta1.
- This is a beta release. Things may be broken which worked in 3.2.17. If you find a bug introduced since 3.2.17, please report it.
- If you save a module, game, or log in VASSAL 3.3, you will NOT be able to open it afterwards with VASSAL 3.2. We recommend keeping a backup copy of any pre-3.3 files you plan to modify in 3.3 until you've verified that everything works to your satisfaction.
- Some modules containing custom drawing code may render incorrectly on HiDPI displays. If you are the maintainer of such a module, let us know and we can advise you about what needs updating for 3.3 in your code. (We are aware already that VASL has this problem and are working with its maintainers to update it.)
New in 3.3.0-beta1
- 12557: Compatibility with Java 9+: VASSAL 3.2 would not run with anything newer than Java 8. VASSAL 3.3 now requires Java 9 or later.
- 12558: Bundle Java with VASSAL: The Linux, Mac, and Windows packages now include Java 13. It is no longer necessary to install Java separately when using one of these packages.
- 12559: HiDPI support: VASSAL now has support for displays with a high pixel density (e.g., Retina displays). On such displays, you should now see correctly sized interface elements and sharper image rendering.
- 12556: Mass Piece Definer does not sort image names
For changes prior to 3.3.0-beta1, see the change log.
Please report all bugs in 3.3.0-beta1 even if they are bugs which you've already reported against other versions. We take your bug reports seriously—they're the reason we've been able to fix so many bugs.
VASSAL 3.3 requires Java 9 or later.
Help us test
Should you find any problems/oddities/bugs, please tell us so that we can fix them for a future release of VASSAL. Report bugs here in the Technical Support & Bugs category at the VASSAL forums or by email.
The VASSAL Team