The VASSAL Team is happy to announce VASSAL 3.6.0-beta2, which is a preview release.
- NEW! 64-bit ARM packages: There are now MacOS and Windows pacakges for 64-bit ARM processors. If you have a Mac with an Apple Silicon CPU (which is a 64-bit ARM processor), we recommend using the 64-bit ARM build.
- Code deprecated more than a year ago has been removed. Modules using that code MUST be updated if they are to work with 3.6.
- Things may be broken which worked previously. If you find a new bug, please report it.
- Modules saved in 3.6 are not openable by earlier versions of VASSAL. We recommend keeping a backup copy of any pre-3.6 modules you plan to modify in 3.6 until you’ve verified that everything works to your satisfaction.
- 10390: NPE in GameModule.getProperty() after deleting the Map from the owning Map widget
- 10387: ‘Centre on Opponents Moves’ functionality should ignore movement by Invisible units
- 10386: Audit Trail reporting is not reporting trait or piece information for Return to Deck trait when invalid Deck specified
- 10381: Replaying a log step can cause Deck to become corrupted
- 10375: NPE in EnumeratedPropertyPrompt.getNewValue()
- 10371: Reset the Zone Editor title to match the Zone being edited
- 10359: ClassCastException: DeckGlobalCommand cannot be cast to Auditable
- 10357: Return To Deck Deck name can be lost when pre 3.6 module is edited using 3.6
- 10351: Checkbox preference default value is ignored
- 10341: Symbolic Dice Button tooltip is overwritten by description text
- 10226: Force Game Piece Image names to be valid file names ending in .png
- 10095: Definition of Player Sides - Retire/Switch Button image not showing in editor
- 10392: HTTP requests for server status should follow redirects
- 10383: Update all site URLs for new site and HTTPS
- 10337: Bring Reference Manual up to date
- 10276: Expose property if we’re currently drawing Counter Detail Viewer
- 10273: Mat Cargo can be set to detect mats way from their exact center
- 10248: Invisible trait - Option to disable auto-report of moves
- 10075: Scaling factors for Layers and Non-Rectangular
- 10066: Mats & Cargo - Cargo pieces stay attached to Mat piece when moving.
- 10034: Added option to Mass Piece Loader to not create empty levels in layers when there is no matching image
- 10021: Added sub-folders to group components under Module, Maps, Decks, At-Start Stacks, Prototypes and Global Properties folders
- 10002: Add Hotkeys to hide and show map windows. Existing show/hide hotkey field is now always visible. Allow changes to hide/show Map button settings without needing Editor restart
- 10001: Inventory window allows a hotkey for Refresh
- 9998: Editor now has Drag and Drop support
- 9997: Can duplicate and insert components in Editor, not just add to bottom
- 9988: CountStack() added to beanshell to count pieces in current Stack
- 9987: ReportState checkbox overrides Global Key Command suppression of individual reports
- 9979: Add Deck Sort Key Command component to allow sorting of cards in a Deck by properties via menu or hotkey. Add Deck Send Key Command component to provide additional commands to send contents of one Deck to another via menu or hotkey.
- 9973: Deck supports configurable strings for Draw Multiple, Draw Specific, Face Up, Face Down
- 9972: Ability to specify Return-to-Deck target as an expression
- 9917: Global Options can be configured to let toolbar items on closed windows accept global hotkeys
- 9912: Add Global property MapName_isVisible for each Map to allow checking if Map is currently open
- 9901: Preference to reverse left-to-right order counters are shown in Mouseover Stack Viewer
- 9864: Improved translation features (Global Translatable Message component, Translatable Message trait, exposing current language/locale as property)
- 9549: Default UI font size can be overridden in preferences
- 4542: Added ‘Stack Normally’ option to ‘Does Not Stack’ trait
- 4533: Make grid center dot display independent of grid display
- 10326: Add option to disable OpenGL FBOs on Macs
- 10301: Double max heap and retry when image tiler runs out of memory
- 10294: Can Rotate traits no longer lose any pre-defined starting rotation when editing a Piece Slot
- 10187: Duplicate key and menu item for Editor menu
- 9993: DeckPosition was reporting 1 higher than the actual position
- 9884: Fix and improve module validity checking
- 6130: Grid Numbering dialog can appear blank when grid size is very large
- 10286: Add removal/deprecation checker and remove anything deprecated a year ago
- 10277: When editing an IrregularGrid, start the map view somewhere near the grid or its parent Zone
- 10272: Don’t auto-name new regions a long string
- 10259: 64-bit ARM builds for Windows and Macs; switched bundled Java to Zulu
- 10228: Upgrade to Launch4j 3.14
- 10041: Newly added Layer traits will now default to ‘Always active’
- 10015: Remove ?s from checkbox preference strings
- 10011: Add Scrollbars to Prefs Dialog when needed
- 9999: First ‘advanced search’ on a module defaults to all boxes prechecked
- 9992: Removed ignored ‘button tooltip’ field from Turn Tracker config
- 9989: Less verbose window titles for sub-windows
- 9975: Deck reports now suppressed during GKC report suppresssion
- 9913: Increase number of default zoom levels in new Map Zoom Capability
- 9254: Expression audit trails preference - Improve error reporting when Beanshell expressions fail. Suppress ‘Bad Data in Module’ errors generated by counters in Game Piece Palette.
See the Release Notes for descriptions of the changes in 3.6.
VASSAL 3.6 requires Java 11 or later.
The Windows and MacOS packages have an appropriate version of Java bundled with them, so there is no need to install Java separately on those operating systems. On Linux, use your package manager to install Java 11 or later.
Please report bugs in the Technical Support & Bugs category at the VASSAL forum.
The VASSAL Team