VASSAL application icon

Useable - nope its not
I agree :slight_smile:

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Subject closed ??

or What Else ?

Thus spake “soft-bug”:

For my part, my attention is on finishing the Mac bundle right now.
I’ll revisit this once that’s done.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

It would be really nice if we could pull together one or more career graphic designers to work on a nice consistent set of icons for Vassal. I’m sure there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who are bored at work; And maybe a couple are gamers? :slight_smile:

Would anyone object to me putting a note on BGG asking for help?

Thus spake “bsmith”:

I’m going to insist once again that we do this according to the Tango
guidelines, in order that we can take advantage of existing Tango icons.
Honestly, I think a better place to ask would be on one of the Tango
mailing lists. There are people there who have made thousands of icons
for open-source projects.

J.

Messages mailing list

You think that would work?

• M.

Thus spake “Michael Kiefte”:

Yes. If you’re an icon designer with an open-source mindset, then
you’re going to run out of things to do for just one project—there’s
only so many icons that a single project needs.

For example, this guy:

jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php

He’s made (exceptionaly good) icons for dozens of programs.

J.

Messages mailing list

I guess Tango designers are probably at least as good as graphic designer gamers, even though I’m not a huge fan of the look of KDE or GNOME . As long as they’re not gonna suggest a Monopoly or Chess theme. If you can convince me there’s no risk of this happening, I’ll be on your side Joel. :laughing:

One question about the VASSAL icon proposed here; Is there any reason it’s green and orange? :slight_smile:

Orange and green share a triadic relationship (violet being the third in
triadic) in color design theory.

Whatever the colors are they should follow color theory of some sorts, this
does minus one color

On 01/04/2008, bsmith <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)> wrote:

GNOME doesn’t have a look really. It uses themes of which there is theoretically an infinite number. Likewise for KDE now. You can take a look at the Tango icons on line though. They seem perfect to me.

What the heck would that look like? Is there a GNOME Monopoly theme? Good Lord! Kill them before they release it to the public.

• M.

GNOME on Fedora definitely does have a “look”. It uses all of the Tango
icons by default.

I think Ben means for our icons. It’s likely that anyone who bites won’t
be familiar with wargames. On the other hand, there isn’t much which
is wargame-specific in our set of icons anway.

J.

Messages mailing list

Just because these colors correspond of the Splash logo identity when i have built it !!! :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m out of my depth in these discussions of colors and art; I’m like a hairdresser trying to configure a Blade Switch.

Tango is CC licensed… not GPL though.

This is an issue for most GPL projects, since you have to link yet another license. Dunno if this has any impact for vassal.

On 01/04/2008, Dab <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)> wrote:

We’re already using the Sun license on a couple of kind-of-ugly icons, so I doubt it’s a problem. If GNOME can use them, I see absolutely no problems.

• M.

My understanding of the license issue for icons is that it’s completely
independent of the license issue for code. The icons are data, not
libraries. VASSAL will run without the icons, the icons are viewable
witout VASSAL, it’s not a derivative work of the icons, and the icons
aren’t a derivative work of VASSAL.

J.

Messages mailing list

currently icons “ship with” the vengine.jar, which is so to say the product the license applies to. so i think this is an issue, just theoretical one though.

i dont think there will be any charges whatsoever. its just an aspect i wanted to point out.

Thus spake “Dab”:

I don’t see the relvance of that. Take, for example, any Linux
distribution you want. There are going to be hundreds of applications
which have pairwise license incompatibilities shipping together in the
same disk image. A JAR is just a container. I contend that there is no
substantive difference between the two.

J.

Messages mailing list

The CC license is a DRM license as in not a software/library license and focuses on attribution (at least in the SA variant).

So concluding from this quoted passage of the CC FAQ you will not have to license vassal under CC but you have to pass the CC license along if you want to make use of the Tango! icon set.

This adds yet another license to the package. This is “relevant”! But its not limiting, just a point to be considered imho. I just wanted to mention…

Also some projects (Debian among others) consider CCed works in (L)GPLed projects legally incompatible. I am not a lawyer (: I cannot elaborate on what or to what extend they consider this incompatible, but my guess is that’s on a quite technical legal level that does not bother regular people ;) I guess the main issue is where both licenses claim that you redistribute derivatives under “the same license”. I guess you solve this problem where you state to “use” something “in its original state” as part of your project as opposed to “derive your work off” something.

Tango! looks cool! I don’t want to lobby against using the Tango! icon set…i dont think there is any other icon set that has this level of polish and is “free” to use.

p.s.: I dont quite go along with your container point. The license applies to the CONtent, not the CONtainer imo. If you grab a copy of an linux distro you will find all the licenses you need at the project level (each “piece of content” with its appropriate license). I was emphasing the “yet another license to pass along” not the “you will have to relicense” (which you wont have to imo).