Vassal compatibility problem with Java 6

I just updated to Java 6. Now when I try to launch Vassal 3, I receive an error message that says “unable to launch application”. Several other people I know have reported the same problem on ConSimWorld.

Prior to the Java 6 update I had no problems launching Vassal.

I am running Windows Vista.

I am still able to launch Vassal 2.9.9 with no problems however.

Thus spake “Gamer1”:

Where on ConsimWorld? I read the VASSAL folder there, and haven’t seen
any messages about this problem recently.

This is a known problem with VASSAL 3.0 on Windows. The solution is to
use the curren VASSAL 3.1.0 beta, which presently is 3.1.0-beta6, available
here:

downloads.sourceforge.net/vassal … indows.exe

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thanks for the very quick reply. The CSW posts weren’t in the Vassal folder. The ones I saw were in a game folder - talk.consimworld.com/WebX?12@251 … 6bcf8/5929

Thus spake “Gamer1”:

The link is dead.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Hmm. Not sure why the link doesn’t work. I’ve copied it again. as follows: talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@251 … 6bcf8/5929

If that doesn’t work for some reason, you can navigate to the WWII Pacific Theater VitP game folder.

Just for general information, I had the same problem upgrading Java on my XP system. I believe it was an upgrade to Java 6.11 or whatever the most recent upgrade is. I got the same error message when I tried to run Vassal. Did a recover and then tried re-installing the new Java upgrade and got the same error message when I tried to run Vassal again. I did another recover upgraded Java again and then did a quicklaunch download of the Vassal program I was using and it appears to be working.