Vassal creates an unhidden directory in ~ on Linux

Vassal is creating a directory in my home folder whenever I run it on Linux. It’s called VASSAL, and it’s not even a dot folder.

This is extremely unwelcome, and it’s enough to keep me from using Vassal unless this can be fixed somehow. This isn’t Windows; the home folder is not somewhere you can just create folders willy-nilly to dump stuff in. Either precede the folder with a dot to make it hidden, or use the XDG-defined configuration directories.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I have to wait for you to fix it?

Before we rush off to change something that is generally working for most users, can we refine the requirements from your perspective?

1. VASSAL requires a known location, OS-independent, where it stores configuration information common to all VASSAL modules for each user, such as the MRU list of modules. Is there a standard location on LINUX other than ~ where user-dependent configuration information should be stored?

2. If the answer to (1) actually happens to be ~, would it be sufficient to change the name of the configuration directory to .VASSAL (assuming that is not a burdensome change)?

Thank you for your time and effort in helping us to improve VASSAL.

Thus spake TiZ:

Vassal is creating a directory in my home folder whenever I run it on
Linux. It’s called VASSAL, and it’s not even a dot folder.

This is extremely unwelcome, and it’s enough to keep me from using
Vassal unless this can be fixed somehow. This isn’t Windows; the home
folder is not somewhere you can just create folders willy-nilly to dump
stuff in. Either precede the folder with a dot to make it hidden, or use
the XDG-defined configuration directories.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I have to wait for you to
fix it?

It’s already fixed in the trunk, and has been for some months. It’s a
fairly major behavior change, though, which is why it will be included
in 3.2, not any of the 3.1.x releases.

J.