VASSAL freezes on close or exit attempts

Model HP Pavilion zd8000
Windows XP Professional 32 bit, SP3
3 GHz
1 GB RAM
Integral video card (I think Radeon?)
VASSAL 3.14 (the latest, just downloaded it)
Java 6-19 (the latest, just downlaoded it)
Module “Bastogne” version 1.2

VASSAL freezes when trying to close or exit. Multiple occasions and requires reboot. Re-installed latest JAVA and VASSAL and problem persists. Do not see this problem on Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit systems that I have.

My system is similar to yours and I’ve never had that problem. The only real difference I see is the video card. I use NVidia 8600 GT G-Force w/ 512 megs.

I’ve never tried the Bastogne module, though. Have you tried a different module? Could be Bastogne.

Thank you for your insights. I appreciate your quick response.
Well, I do have an ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics card.
The system does freeze with other modules that previously worked fine.

It gives me the “End Program - C:Program Files\Java\JRE6\Bin\jav…” error message while doing a forced shut down. I suspect JAVA is the bad actor here.

No need to put more energy in this for now. I have two other computers that run it fine. I’ll look into updating drivers, and re-installing JAVA and VASSAL again, and so on.

Thus spake “BradenLynch”:

Could you be more specific about when and how this problem happens?

1. Are you able to successfully close VASSAL’s Module Manager before any
    modules are opened?

2. Are you able to successfully close modules other than the Bastogne
    module?

3. Are you able to successfuly close the Bastogne module without closing
    the Module Manager?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

It’s almost never helpful to reinstall VASSAL or Java, unless you have
a specific reason to believe that the previous install failed or that
one of the installed files is corrupt.

J.

Messages mailing list

Thanks, however, I did re-install my video graphic card driver, JAVA, and VASSAL before seeing your post and this did not do the trick.

I can open and close VASSAL by itself.

If I open a module, say “Storm Over Stalingrad” which has worked before, it freezes upon attempts to either “close” or “quit” the module. I have to use the task manager to end it and then it gives the JAVA error message I mentioned before when shutting down.

Where did you install VASSAL? My working hypothesis is that it might not
have permission to write to some files it needs to write to.

J.

Messages mailing list

I have exactly the same problem with any modules. Cannot exit the program and the module does not write so I have to reload the module every time I use VASSAL. This happens on my Vista machine and my XP machine. It happens with all modules.

My Vassal is installed in C:/Program files/VASSAL so there should be no issue in writing to the drive at all…

I have latest Java and latest VASSAL. This problem has been ongoing for a long time. As I have to get out of the freeze using task manager, I notice java is still running for VASSAL (I have nothing else that uses java) and I have to manually stop this or my memory will fill up with useless java runs.

Is there a solution?