VASSAL Preferences moan

i’ve got a prob since 11/09, that the changes i make to my VASL user-prefs are not being written to the VASSAL\Preferences file.

i think this is a prob w/ VASSAL 3.1.x, it might be due to having several instances of VASSAL 3.0 & 2.8 present on my computer.

i am using VASSAL 3.1.14 to access various versions of VASL 5.9, including unreleased ‘development’ versions of VASL. i’m working solely w/ VASL.mod, i don’t have any other .mod files on my box (WinXPsp3, Java 5.8).

in the past, under VASSAL 3.0, a user could make changes to his VASL user-prefs. when he quit the application, his new user-prefs were written to the VASSAL\Preferences file, & the old Preferences file was saved to a new file named ‘tempN.zip’, where the value of N was increased by +1 if other files named ‘tempN.zip’ were already present in the dir. So, if ‘temp9.zip’ was present, the new file file would be named ‘temp10.zip’.

but since the release of VASSAL 3.1.x, user-pref changes made in VASL.mod aren’t written to the VASSAL\Preferences file, also the expected ‘tempN+1.zip’ file isn’t written.

as best i can observe at this time, this prob is confined to users of VASL.mod, that have both VASSALv3.0/VASLv5.8 AND VASSALv3.1/VASLv5.9 loaded, in WinXP or MacOS9 environments.

there’s not been any problem w/ ‘reading’ the contents of the ‘Preferences’ file, it works great w/ no probs when VASL starts. the probs occur when ‘writing’ to that file - any changes made during use of VASL.mod, such as dialog position/size, or heap-size changes, or sub-dir changes to dir-paths for ‘maps’ or ‘savegames’, are not being written to ‘Preferences’.

i’ll solicit the VASL community for any add’l info on this topic, my 1st take on the prob indicates something specific to VASSALv3.1.x.

best regards,
jM

Thus spake jmalter:

i’ve got a prob since 11/09, that the changes i make to my VASL
user-prefs are not being written to the VASSAL\Preferences file.

i think this is a prob w/ VASSAL 3.1.x, it might be due to having
several instances of VASSAL 3.0 & 2.8 present on my computer.

i am using VASSAL 3.1.14 to access various versions of VASL 5.9,
including unreleased ‘development’ versions of VASL. i’m working solely
w/ VASL.mod, i don’t have any other .mod files on my box (WinXPsp3, Java
5.8).

in the past, under VASSAL 3.0, a user could make changes to his VASL
user-prefs. when he quit the application, his new user-prefs were
written to the VASSAL\Preferences file, & the old Preferences file was
saved to a new file named ‘tempN.zip’, where the value of N was
increased by +1 if other files named ‘tempN.zip’ were already present in
the dir. So, if ‘temp9.zip’ was present, the new file file would be
named ‘temp10.zip’.

but since the release of VASSAL 3.1.x, user-pref changes made in
VASL.mod aren’t written to the VASSAL\Preferences file, also the
expected ‘tempN+1.zip’ file isn’t written.

as best i can observe at this time, this prob is confined to users of
VASL.mod, that have both VASSALv3.0/VASLv5.8 AND VASSALv3.1/VASLv5.9
loaded, in WinXP or MacOS9 environments.

there’s not been any problem w/ ‘reading’ the contents of the
‘Preferences’ file, it works great w/ no probs when VASL starts. the
probs occur when ‘writing’ to that file - any changes made during use of
VASL.mod, such as dialog position/size, or heap-size changes, or sub-dir
changes to dir-paths for ‘maps’ or ‘savegames’, are not being written to
‘Preferences’.

i’ll solicit the VASL community for any add’l info on this topic, my 1st
take on the prob indicates something specific to VASSALv3.1.x.

Does this still happen with 3.1.20?

J.

Joel

I do not think that J Malter is a Vasl user any more. I would answer your question, but I am not sure what exactly is being said in the initial post so I am unable to test it.

Pete