Where Are The Updates?

Hello, I’ve been using vassal on and off a few years now. When I first started using it it seemed like there was a update daily, but since I started using the program again I noticed that when ever I’d check for updates through the program or from the site there wasn’t any new updates. I finally decided to check out the forum for any news, to my surprise I noticed the program hasn’t been updated since 2016, is that correct?.. Is there a reason for that? have the devs moved to another project? is the program considered completed? don’t get me wrong this isn’t a complaint at all, I’m old school so I’m use to projects being completed and not getting updated for years, so if they’re not updating anymore that’s not bad at all imo. I just wanted to know what was going on.

I am wondering the same thing.

I do recall reading that they are trying to do a major overhaul and are upgrading it to 64 bits in the process. Maybe this is taking a lot longer than they thought it would.

Also, maybe they have lost a developer or two.

There are many improvements that could be made. For example being able to have the program draw a colored line from one piece to another to show fire or command links and such would be a great addition. And there are many more additions that would be cool as well.

There is really only one active developer, and he moved to a new country and took on a substantial home renovation. That’s the one-sentence summary, hehe.

Haven’t heard from Joel in awhile but the last I heard, he was completely redesigning the engine to run on C++ rather than Java.

In the past, most of the updates were for fixing bugs. Although a minor issue does come up these days, I haven’t seen mention of anything serious lately and there’s no sense is incorporating new features if the engine is currently under a rebuild.

That being said, I’m guessing he’s just spending his time on the new one.

Thus spake DrNostromo:

Haven’t heard from Joel in awhile but the last I heard, he was
completely redesigning the engine to run on C++ rather than Java.

In the past, most of the updates were for fixing bugs. Although a minor
issue does come up these days, I haven’t seen mention of anything
serious lately and there’s no sense is incorporating new features if the
engine is currently under a rebuild.

That being said, I’m guessing he’s just spending his time on the new
one.

I’m still here, I just haven’t been able to get free from house renovation
work yet. (Being forced to move in before was done has not been helpful.)

J.