Why Doesn't the Hotkey Work?

Here:

Do you get this same result when you pull a fresh Partisan counter from the Game Piece Palette? Changes made to counter definitions in a module to not effect existing counters in saved games, log files or predefined scenarios unless you use the Tools → Refresh Counters option.

Refreshed the counters several times, but that did not change anything. Still no CTRL H showing or active

Do you get this same result when you pull a fresh Partisan counter from the Game Piece Palette?

The counter refresher can not necessarily refresh every counter.

Yes. Still no hotkey or hotkey function.

Can you send me a link to your module?

Regards,
Brent.

(Brings back memories, I think this was the first module I ever built)

Here is the file: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/File:TRC4.vmod

Maybe I just don’t understand things in VASSAL. I’ve uploaded a number of modules, but only by preparing in ADC2 and Importing to VASSAL.

Keyboard Command is probably not equal to Hotkey. So, how do I go about installing a hotkey for the Return to Start feature?

Hi Charles,

It seems you can use any Key combination as a Control Key EXCEPT for Ctrl-H :slight_smile: Change it to anything else and it works. I’d say it is because Ctrl-H is backspace and somewhere in the Vassal processing of Key Commands it is being treated as a real backspace and is disappearing.

If you are making a completely new module for TRC4, just be careful with your naming conventions so there is no confusion with the existing module, which I believe is used by a lot of players.

You might be better off updating the existing module with the better artwork from the ADC version?

Regards,
Brent.

OK, I’ll try a different combination.

There are a number of reasons not to attempt combining material from this module with WGA’s existing module. It is not all ego, although that is a part of it too. I did work on the original ADC2 TRC4 version for L2DG. I think the original map was not the best, but I wasn’t a party to that area. There are several major differences between what I intend and what WAG has provided, I believe that separate modules may serve better.

Thanks Brent,

That worked.

It is just one of those things that goes unexplained in any computer system. All those who are familiar with a program generally skip those kind of things when the documentation in developed. I’ve encountered that many times in the past sometimes with disastrous results.

Thus spake Charles McLellan:

Thanks Brent,

That worked.

It is just one of those things that goes unexplained in any computer
system.

It’s not. What you encountered is a design flaw. It shouldn’t be like
that, but fixing it would potentailly affect every module, saved game,
and log, because they all depend on the command encoder.

J.

OK Joel, It’s one of those design flaws that goes unexplained…

I’ve been over that area in the Design Manual and there is no mention of this design flaw. Certainly, someone else has encountered it in the past. I’ve written manuals, I know that this happens. I been a user of many other systems, not just VASSAL or ADC2 or Cyberboard. It is really not a problem unless the same design flaw will be incorporated into your next version or omitted from your next document change.

Thanks Brent and Joel.