Word Filter

What we need is a way to filter out words that we dont want used (in chat, labels, etc.)

Thus spake “blaze99960”:

Why is this needed?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Swearing is an important pain reduction mechanism, especially when you’re losing a game; Have some sympathy for the poor losers!

Science News: Swearing Can Actually Increase Pain Tolerance

The use of foul language is the first sign of an uneducated individual. A person desperately looking for vocabulary they obviously do not possess.

Personally I would like the filter too. Not everyone wants to be subjected to such behavior.

Thus spake “abj9562”:

I can’t say I agree. Some of the most foul-mouthed people I know have
quite large vocabularies and use them to great effect.

I recommend not playing with people who offend you.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

If by “uneducated” you mean someone who lacks an Arts Degree, then I agree. I scored 53% in college English, yet somehow still winged my way to an Engineering Degree. And I still wouldn’t care less about vocabulary. :slight_smile:

I don’t find swearing offensive. I just overlook it a lot of times, I swear myself and I would like to think others don’t judge my game skills or knowledge on my choice of colorful words as I wouldn’t judge them on their choice of words.

I know people have a choice to hear it at times and everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I agree with uckelman on this touchy subject in saying try to avoid those players if you feel strongly offended.

Maybe you can request use of less harsh language. A lot of people including myself would respect someones request on that subject.

Just my 0.02 :slight_smile: