3.2.15 vassal.exe freezes machine

Model: Asus Notebook U52F Series
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.53 GHz
Memory: 4GB
Video: Intel HD Graphics
Vassal: 3.2.15
Java: JRE 8.31 64 bit/JRE 8.31 32 bit

There are no older version of Java on my machine.

Steps to reproduce: try to run vassal. Really - double click the desktop shortcut or vassal.exe directly, and the Windows 7 circular “hour glass” appears, spins a bit, then disappears. Then why I try to start task manager to see if anything happened, exporer.exe freezes and I’m force to hard reboot by holding in the power button for 10 seconds. Open the start menu, run anything else, right click on the task bar? Nope, hard reboot. Ctrl-alt-delete is useless, unresponsive. This happens for both the listed versions of java (the first I install realizing I have a 64 bit OS, the second because it is Java’s “recommended” version for my machine). Yes, I uninstall one before installing the other. Sometimes for giggles I run as administrator, same results.

If I open taskmanager before trying to run vassal, I see javaw.exe appear when I start vassal.exe, then virtual memory stops growing at some arbitrary point (usually ~41MB), then just stops. If I don’t fiddle with it too much I can do other things on my machine that were already open - browse the web, run other apps - even visual studio! Try to open vassal again, another javaw.exe shows up, stop growing at another arbitrary memory point, then does nothing.

Here’s why I suspect it’s a Vassal issue and not a Java issue: Minecraft runs fine. javaw.exe starts up, Minecraft starts up. Minecraft shuts down, javaw.exe shuts down.

Thanks in advance!

Got it working.

Remember everybody, Vassal uses the internet to play games. Things like Comodo Firewall ought to be disabled so that it works properly.

On another note - really, Vassal shouldn’t freeze a system when it can’t make an internet connection. Send a pop-up and exit your retry loop. Please!

Thanks!

Thus spake lordqulex via messages:

Got it working.

Remember everybody, Vassal uses the internet to play games. Things like
Comodo Firewall ought to be disabled so that it works properly.

On another note - really, Vassal shouldn’t freeze a system when it can’t
make an internet connection. Send a pop-up and exit your retry loop.
Please!

We don’t retry connections after a failure anywhere that I know of.

If you’d like us to troubleshoot this further, we need to know what you
see before your machine hangs so that we can guess how far launching
gets. Do you see no window? the Module Manager window?

J.