3.3.2, 3.3.3 release plan

Thus spake Cattlesquat:

And yeah, it’s line 121 (and its ilk where selection would be cleared)
– “isRightMouseWhatever” gets a special Mac case in SwingUtils for the
Control key but it does not currently get one for the Command key.

I’m not following. Why should there be a special case for the Command
key in Mac’s isRightMouseButton()?

J.

Oh right, I’ve confused myself again.

BUT let me put it this way – we need “Command+LeftClick” on Mac to successfully find these kbuf.add() and kbuf.remove() bits.

So actually it’s line 117, “isControlDown” that is betraying us here and line 137.

For THOSE two isControlDown() we want:
(a) On non-Mac’s, just return normal isControlDown()
(b) For Macs, isMetaDown()

Oh wait, but we got here because that’s apparently what it already does but it isn’t working. Christ.

Grasping at straws here – are we reasonably certain 3.3.2-test2 had that code and the right SwingUtils.isControlDown running in it?

One teeny additional clue…

Turns out I am able to Command+Leftclick to DESELECT pieces (one by one) from a group selection, so that part actually works.

I just cannot ADD things to a selection with Command+Leftclick. It’s not that it deselects things or does “some wrong thing”, it’s that it completely ignores the click.

Holy Christ. Look at the comment in line 116. And weep. (And ship it)

It is literally designed “by intent” not to function that way. In other words go try to add a piece to your selection on Linux or Windows or whatever by Ctrl+Clicking. It won’t work. God Fucking Dammit.

Thus spake Cattlesquat:

One teeny additional clue…

Turns out I am able to Command+Leftclick to DESELECT pieces (one by one)
from a group selection, so that part actually works.

I just cannot ADD things to a selection with Command+Leftclick. It’s not
that it deselects things or does “some wrong thing”, it’s that it
completely ignores the click.

Oh, this! Check that on a non-Mac. I think I’ve come across that before.

J.

Thus spake Cattlesquat:

Holy Christ. Look at the comment in line 116. And weep.

omg. That’s… not good. Why on earth did we do that?!

J.

I wish I could get at the old bug tracker on SourceForge to find out what RFE 1659481 was.

That’s sufficiently weird that we must have had a reason for doing it. It’s a commit of Brent’s from 2007. That’s long enough ago I’ll be he doesn’t remember. (I wouldn’t, in most cases.)

I suppose it could ironically have to do with some monster that emerged from the dogs-breakfast of the Mac-implementation, though I can’t off the top of my head think of what it would be.

I’m gonna propose that we:
(1) Ship 3.3.2 like this (or after more testing of other things, but this part looks “okay”)
(2) Assuming Brent can’t remember the reason for this, ship what we think is “a normal interface” for 3.3.3 (including the Ctrl/Command key being a toggle not just a deselect), and if necessary “learn the hard way” why it was there but hopefully it wasn’t actually needed or rather “isn’t actually needed any more”.

So, given all of this mess, we’re “good” to release this as 3.3.2 for some value of “good”?

Precisely.

Everything else in 3.3.2 has either been in for a while and/or has been verified to work. So… I’m going to pull the trigger.

Then we can fix this properly, in 3.3.3.

Excellent. The other possibility for the “Why, Predecessors, Why” question would be something to do with stack manipulation. Like they wanted to be able to kick things out of a stack selection without worrying about getting them re-added, or something. I still can’t think of anything that actually sounds like a good idea though.

RFE 1659481: Implement Shift/Ctrl clicks to add/subtract from selection

I have only the vaguest memories, and I doubt any testing was done on Macs.

I’ve got 3 emails on this one from my old MS outlook archives. Only the 3rd one may help jog Brents memory perhaps
I’ll post below:

Hi Rodney,

Not sure if you are ready for these yet, but they are starting to build up in swampwallaby-merge:

1696: RFE 1652084: Make delay before scrolling at map edge configurable
1700: RFE 1629255: A Moving stack should not pick up other counters from stacks
1702: RFE 1629255: A Moving stack should not pick up other counters from stacks (Improved)
1703: RFE 1624012: Layer option to automatically track a Property value
RFE 1624010: Allow Layer Reset command to reference $…$ properties
1708: RFE 905432: New tabs for Notes Window
1715: RFE 1633165: Enable ‘Last move Highlighter’ by default in all modules
1717: RFE 1611308: Allow Transparent Border/Bg color in Mouse Over Stack Viewer
1718: RFE 1592449: Send To Location - specify Zone, other piece’s location
1719: RFE 1659481: Shift clicking on map should not deselect counters

Next cab off the rank is auto-prompt to start a log file.

I find it very convenient to commit after completing each RFE, is this easy for you?

Cheers,
Brent.

Wow, you’re really on a tear. Way to go.

J.

Hi Rodney,

Just finished committing a fairly extensive consistency update to swampwallaby-merge@1777:

RFE 1624566: Add Tooltip text option for all Toolbar Buttons RFE 1608190: Mark Moved button to have optional Text.

• All Toolbar buttons now have optional text and tooltip text (except for the Step/undo/connect buttons. It’s a bit tricky and messy and probably not really needed. The default tooltip text is ok and the button text is only really needed to add the buttons to a toolbar)

• Button configurers always appear in the order Button Text, Tooltip text, Icon, Hotkey

• Also tidied up all Component configurer labels to follow the standard:

• Boolean Configurer labels to end in ?

• Most other Configurer labels to end in ': ’

• Array/List configurer labels to not end in ': ’

Joel, I didn’t do Zoomer as I know you have a new version.

Also ready is

1743: RFE 1606312: Preference setting to auto-start log file after replay (Improved)
1768: REF 1391523: LOS Enhancements - Reporting/Visibility/Snapping. Also Performance
1769: RFE 1659481: Implement Shift/Ctrl clicks to add/subtract from selection - Ready for testing
1776: RFE 1659481: Implement Shift/Ctrl clicks to add/subtract from selection - Bug Fix, Focus handling

I think it was to do just as it says. Make a shift-click on a piece add it to the current selection, make a ctrl-click on a piece remove it from the current selection. There was no way to that before. Must have seemed like a good idea at the time.