3.6.6 Linux install problem

I’m trying to install VASSAL 3.6.6 on Fedora 34 Workstation. Downloaded the version 3.6.6 linux version. Unpacked the .bz2 file, tried both ways, manually on the command line and using the file manager UI. Either way, changed into that directory and tried to run ./VASSAL.sh and get the following. (Also tried downloading a second time, same result).

$ ./VASSAL.sh

Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread “main”

Manually checking Java version doesn’t output anything

$ java -classpath lib/Vengine.jar VASSAL.launch.JavaVersionChecker
$ java --version
openjdk 11.0.13 2021-10-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.13+8)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.13+8, mixed mode, sharing)

Any ideas what to try next? I have reasonable Linux skills, but zero Java knowledge.

Thanks,
Steve

What’s the output of rpm -qa | grep java-11-openjdk?

$ rpm -qa | grep java-11
java-11-openjdk-headless-11.0.13.0.8-2.fc34.x86_64

That shows your problem. You have only a headless JVM installed, i.e., one with no graphics capabilities. You need also to install the java-11-openjdk package.

That was it. Works great now. Thanks!!

1 Like

cross posted from FB group. I get the same error but have headless and ‘full’ JVM java-11-openjdk-11.0.14.1.1-5.fc36.x86_64 installing 3.6.7

What does java -version show? And update-alternatives --display java?

Edit: I believe update-alternatives is only for Debian-based distros (such as Ubuntu). If not on a Debian-based distro, what does echo $JAVA_HOME show?

Edit 2: For future reference, it’s probably better to start your own thread instead of reviving one that’s marked as “solved”.

fixed ok- installed open jdk 17 from command line with yum and it’s fine; seems the gui package manager was messing around

2 Likes

I genuinely appreciate the response, it takes time and effort to offer help, thanks

edit1: in almost 40 years as an IT pro, reopening an identical bug is more use than creating a new bug in my experience, unless you just want to drive up your bug count (and your solved numbers)

edit2: this week I’m running a 20,000 employee payroll test with 73 open defects out of around 400 total count; if one of my ‘solved’ bugs recurs I want to track the recurrence, not start from zero, ymmv