3.7.0b2 not displaying some Layers

I’ve noticed an issue with some Layers not activating under 3.7.0b2. Not an issue under 3.6.x. Here is the module experiencing the problem:

Go to the Pieces Window, tab US / Vehicles and drag any vehicle from the list onto the map. In the context menu for the piece, go to Movement / Facing Indicator (Alt+Shift+F). A red triangle should appear in the front facing corner of the counter. Under 3.7.0, it does not activate.

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Interesting – looks like the triangle does appear once I actually drag the unit somewhere? Is that the case for you as well? Are you saying that in 3.6.x the indicator appears immediately when activated? (I mean that seems logical, but making sure that’s the behavior you’re seeing)

Could you please point me toward a version of the module saved under 3.6.x so that I can load in 3.6.x and compare? (The version you linked is only loadable with 3.7.0)

Cheers,

Brian

Hey Brian,

Thanks for contacting me! Yes, the red triangle should appear immediately. I see now that it eventually appears once the unit is moved or rotated (as you experienced), but that’s not the intended behaviour.

Here’s a link for the module that works under 3.6.x:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ro11KdTbMmqIkDQ2MGthF74Tn4iS-DQr/view?usp=share_link

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Okay, I have found and fixed the problem – Thanks! Good Catch!

The fix will appear in 3.7.0-beta3, but meanwhile as soon as a build marked AOEvisiblefix appears at Builds of vassalengine/vassal (probably about 20 minutes from when I post this), then you could optionally download that version, install it as “custom”, and use it in the meantime (plus give us both extra verification that it indeed fixed the problem for you)

The problem was, believe it or not, a bug in Area of Effect (when units had an area of effect trait, that trait was sometimes interfering with the visibility state of other traits inward from them).

Cheers,

Brian

Right on. Will let you know shortly if all is well on my end.

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Brian,

I can confirm the issue is fixed as well (I grabbed the latest development build to check). Many thanks to you and the whole VASSAL team. I adore the program – really couldn’t live without it.

Best,
Scott

Fantastic, thanks! And thanks for the kind words, means a lot!

By the way, the patch is now merged to the “master” branch for 3.7, so it will appear in any future test builds for 3.7 as well as eventually 3.7-beta3, 3.7.0

Brian