A Question of Moving Text in Editor

IN another thread I asked about how one goes about adding text to a map. This was fully answered by Tim (thanks again), but I have noticed something that appears to be a technical glitch and thought I’d post it separately here:

What I find is that when creating a At Start Stack for a text Name (in my case city names for my map), it will not allow me to simply enter a Grid Location using the “Use Grid Location” check box. Whenever I do this and enter the correct hex number it does nothing. The text remains in the top upper left corner (or whatever location it was last in).

However, if I Click Reposition Stack, and MANUALLY drag the text then it will show the correct Grid Location (as well as the x,y location).

The trouble is that in a large map (which I have) it becomes a real time issue to drag around these files, when it should only be a matter of entering in the Grid Location.

Is there a way that it will actually remember this when simply entering the Grid Number? Or is this a bug? Or am I losing my mind? (don’t answer that last one).

I do hope it’s my user error and not a bug, as I have a lot of place names to enter and would hate to have to drag all these names across over all those hexes.

Here’s some screenies to help what I’m describing…

Hi,

I’m not sure who coded that enhancement, I’ve never seen it before. It doesn’t seem to be integrated with the standard x,y location and doesn’t seem to work at all that I can see.

Joel, Michael? Is this one of yours?

B.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 11/10/2008 at 11:28 PM geozero wrote:

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

BTW,

I usually handle this by creating a special Non-stacking pieces with a changeable lable. Set to Select only on shift-click so it doesn’t get selected by accident, then you can create and drop labels all over the place as part of a saved game setup.

B.

Messages mailing list

That’s mine.

If you place text manually and then check “Use Grid Location”, it should give you the correct coordinate. (If it doesn’t, let me know.) What happens if you you manually place text in column 1, hex 1 and then check on “Use Grid Location”?

• M.

2008/10/12 Brent Easton <b.easton@exemail.com.au (b.easton@exemail.com.au)>

It does give correct location
Manually dragging label on map, snapping to the grid and then checking use grid location also sets the correct value in the field.

The problem as I see it is you cannot just set the at start stack directly by checking use grid location and typing in the grid location directly to the field. Doesn’t seem to respond to that

At least this is what I seemed to observe fixing Geo’s mod. There may be more to it than that

From: messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org [mailto:messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Michael Kiefte
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:53 AM
To: VASSAL Engine Forums Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Technical Support & Bugs]A Question of Moving Text in Editor

That’s mine.

If you place text manually and then check “Use Grid Location”, it should give you the correct coordinate. (If it doesn’t, let me know.) What happens if you you manually place text in column 1, hex 1 and then check on “Use Grid Location”?

Hi,

I’m not sure who coded that enhancement, I’ve never seen it before. It doesn’t seem to be integrated with the standard x,y location and doesn’t seem to work at all that I can see.

B.

Tim, could you send me the module?

• M.

2008/10/12 Tim McCaron <timothy.mccarron@sbcglobal.net (timothy.mccarron@sbcglobal.net)>

On its way

From: messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org [mailto:messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Michael Kiefte
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 8:30 AM

Tim, could you send me the module?

The problem as I see it is you cannot just set the at start stack directly by checking use grid location and typing in the grid location directly to the field. Doesn’t seem to respond to that

At least this is what I seemed to observe fixing Geo’s mod. There may be more to it than that

From: messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org (messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org) [mailto:messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org (messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org)] On Behalf Of Michael Kiefte
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:53 AM

That’s mine.

Hi,

B.

This is exactly what I mean. Typing in just the grid location does not seem to work. Hope it’s something fixable. Thanks guys for looking into this.

I just fixed it in r4211. It turns out that I accidentally broke this feature in July. Sorry about that.

Joel, can you merge that into the trunk?

• M.

2008/10/12 geozero <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

That’s awesome!!! WIll this be avilable to d/l soon?

Thus spake “Michael Kiefte”:

Merged to trunk@4213.

J.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “geozero”:

This fix will be in the next beta.

I’m going to put up beta4 for developer review tonight (I think) and
then for general release tomorrow evening.

J.

Messages mailing list