Board Flip Bug With Grid On

Vassal Version 3.1.17
Module PanzerBlitz/PanzerLeader Version 3.5b05
Java Version 6 update 29
Windows Vista SP2

The default module setting is for the [hex grid] to be off on all game boards. If the grid and numbering are turned on, the grid can be set to match a normal orientation game board, but the flipped game board does not accept the same grid settings as the normal orientation game board. It appears as if the grid settings are not being applied to the inverted game board at all even though they should be identical to the normal board (i.e. grid offset and size parameters).

I discovered this when trying to add additional game boards as an extension to the module. I confirmed this bug in the main module itself by modifying the standard [hex grid] settings for all gameboards.

Thus spake drbooda:

Vassal Version 3.1.17
Module PanzerBlitz/PanzerLeader Version 3.5b05
Java Version 6 update 29
Windows Vista SP2

The default module setting is for the [hex grid] to be off on all game
boards. If the grid and numbering are turned on, the grid can be set to
match a normal orientation game board, but the flipped game board does
not accept the same grid settings as the normal orientation game board.
It appears as if the grid settings are not being applied to the inverted
game board at all even though they should be identical to the normal
board (i.e. grid offset and size parameters).

I discovered this when trying to add additional game boards as an
extension to the module. I confirmed this bug in the main module itself
by modifying the standard [hex grid] settings for all gameboards.

Was this also a problem in 3.1.16?

J.

I only discovered Vassal last week after 3.1.17 was released, so I have no experience with 3.1.16. This issue may have been there all along as far as I know.

Thus spake drbooda:

I only discovered Vassal last week after 3.1.17 was released, so I have
no experience with 3.1.16. This issue may have been there all along as
far as I know.

Would you mind checking it with 3.1.16?

J.

The Hex Grid Bug is present in 3.1.16. The normal orientation mapboard aligns with the hex grid properly, but the flipped mapboard is misaligned. This bug appears to be in the core hex grid mapping routine as it is not applying the grid alignment parameters to the inverted mapboard.

The problem is that the mapboard graphics are not symmetrical about the graphic centerline/midpoint - Flipping the board will cause grid to appear off as a result

the partial image attached of one of the maps from this module of two layered images, one flipped/partly transparent show how the hexes dont line up. The hex’s horizontal double lines are clear
[attachment=0]hexgrid.png[/attachment]

I don’t think there is anything we can do about this in Vassal unless we allow defining of two sets of grids for boards that may be flipped but are not perfect graphically

I agree. This will stop being a problem in VASSAL 4, but is unlikely to be fixed before then.