Can not save Module

Win 8.1 Fresh install.
Using 3.6.2
java.nio.file.FileSystemException: C:\Users\Scott\Vassal Modules\The Longest Day v 0.8.2.1.vmod → C:\Users\Scott\Vassal Modules\The Longest Day v 0.8.2.1.vmod.bak: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:92)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileCopy.move(WindowsFileCopy.java:403)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.move(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:293)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.move(Files.java:1432)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.writeToDisk(ZipArchive.java:481)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.flush(ZipArchive.java:381)
at VASSAL.tools.ArchiveWriter.write(ArchiveWriter.java:297)
at VASSAL.tools.ArchiveWriter.saveButVerify(ArchiveWriter.java:276)
at VASSAL.build.GameModule.save(GameModule.java:2007)
at VASSAL.build.GameModule.save(GameModule.java:1980)
at VASSAL.launch.ModuleEditorWindow.lambda$save$0(ModuleEditorWindow.java:94)
at VASSAL.launch.EditorWindow.saver(EditorWindow.java:424)
at VASSAL.launch.ModuleEditorWindow.save(ModuleEditorWindow.java:92)
at VASSAL.launch.EditorWindow$2.actionPerformed(EditorWindow.java:203)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1972)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2313)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:405)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:262)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:279)
at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:297)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6626)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3389)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6391)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2266)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:5001)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2324)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4833)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4948)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4575)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4516)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2310)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2780)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4833)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:773)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:722)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:716)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:399)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:86)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:97)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:746)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:744)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:399)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:86)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:743)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)

Something else still has an open file handle on the file you’re trying to overwrite, so windows won’t give you access.

yes Vassal, I have no other Program running.If I save as and change the name, it works, in a linux O/S it just saves it with the same name.
All I wanted to do was change the version number, I can not do that in this fresh windows install, Not exactly a good thing, Can I provide you anything to help you track this down? The module I am working on is available in the modules area The Longest Day 0.8.2.1

It may appear that way, but have you verified that in Process Manager?

You can’t have a problem like this in Linux because Linux doesn’t block opening a file for writing when there’s another process that has an open handle to the file.

The next time this happens, you could look in Resource Monitor to track down what process has the file handle which is blocking you. Details for how to run Resource Monitor are here. You might also be able to find the same information with Process Explorer.

J, WIN 8.1 does not have a resource Monitor that is Linux, This issue is not happening in my Linux machine. It is happening in this fresh clean 48 hour old WIN 8.1 install.
I have Processes, Performance, App History, Startup, Users, Details, Services in the Task Manager.

Did you look at the link? The link I gave is for Resource Monitor on Windows. There’s also a second link for Process Explorer. Both are Windows programs.

There are no handles in the associated handles I don’t know what to look for?
Why can I make changes in my Mint 18.3 Machine, but not in this new win 8.1?
To me this is weird.

Already explained above. Windows prevents writes to files which another process has open. Linux does not.

Sorry did not see that.

Use the search box on the Associated Handles tab to search for the the two files named at the top of the error message.

You need to do this immediately after having the error to maximize the the chances of catching what has the open file handle.

Image PID Type Handle Name
java.exe 1812 File C:\Users\Scott\Vassal Modules\The Longest Day v 0.8.2.1.vmod

this is the only process it is reporting no matter how many times I try to save the vmod.

The second file The Longest Day v 0.8.2.1.vmod.bak has no handles at all no matter how many times I try to save the mod it gives me no handles for the .bak

Ok. Next you need to compare that PID with the PIDs of all the java.exe processes which are open at the time, so we can determine which process that one is. You should be able to get a process list from one of the other tabs in Resource Monitor.

Image PID Description Status Threads CPU Average CPU
javaw.exe 1676 OpenJDK Platform binary Running 38 0 0.00
java.exe 3488 OpenJDK Platform binary Terminated 21 45 22.35

I think ours is 1812

java.exe 1812 OpenJDK Platform binary Running 43 0 0.00

If I change the name of the vmod file from the one I am running. It works.

Try to get the command line arguments for those two processes. We need that to be able to identify what they are.

You have stepped beyond my Ability.
How do I get those CMD lines?

I hate Windows, and I hate Mondays.

I am going to have a Cigar.

Does it help you that it seems to be only this mod other mods are saving under their same name?