Cards not 'stacking' in a deck

Hi all,

In my Through the Ages module which can be downloaded here:

mediafire.com/?j54yyviu41j

I have it set up so that when someone takes the ‘first player’ card that is lying on the board, hotkeys fire and grab cards from the military (darker grey) A deck and place them in the current event deck.

For some reason, this works with all the cards except the last one drawn which doesn’t seem to enter the deck like the others. I have to grab it and pull it off the board and then drag it back to the deck for it to actually enter the ‘deck’.

Please take a look at the module. Choose 4-player game and then choose any color. Open the Main Map window. There is a white card in the middle of the board. Right-click on it perform the action. You’ll see cards fire below that into the current event deck. Look at how they look, though, and you’ll see that one of them is stacked on top of the deck and not actually a part of the deck.

Thanks,

Dave

What version of Vassal are you using? 3.0 and early 3.1 beta’s had a bug relating to Deck stacking.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

I’m using 3.1.0-beta6

Yeah, I remember this from pre-3.1.0 stuff but haven’t seen it again until just recently when it started popping up again.

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 5:25 AM, Brent Easton <b.easton@exemail.com.au (b.easton@exemail.com.au)> wrote:

Just downloaded Vassal and your TTA module, great stuff!

I did have an issue where 2 current events are revealed when the first player plays an event to the future events pile in a 3 player test game I was trying. ie.:

• *** WHITE END OF TURN COMPLETE ***
  • Blue (kwojtasz) has dealt cards to the Card Row. *
  • Blue (kwojtasz) has sent a Military Card to the Future Events deck as their Political Action. Score 1 Culture (automatically added). A card from the Current Event deck has been played in your Current Event space. *
  • Blue’s Culture is now 1. *
  • CURRENT EVENT REVEALED: Development of Trade Routes: Each civilization scores 1 Science and produces 1 Resource and 1 Food (all automatically added). *
  • CURRENT EVENT REVEALED: Development of Religion: Each player with an Unused Worker may immediately build an Age A Temple for free. *

I take it, if I didn’t move that card in the current events on to the stack before playing the political event to the future stack, that would be the reason why 2 of them flipped?

(ps. I was using 3.1.0-beta 7 that i just downloaded )

so long as it isn’t something related to the blue player (who I even took Julius to get 3 cards and still had all tactics!) After moving the card so it got on the deck, the Red player’s political event only caused one card to be flipped from the current events.

David,

Could you please send me a vlog file for the latest module that demonstrates the problem.

Thanks,
Brent.

Messages mailing list

Brent,

I cannot attach the logfile for some reason…I’ll have to email it to you. Can I have your email address?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Don’t worry, I was able to reproduce the problem using your description.

Thanks,
Brent.

Messages mailing list

Dave,

Your module appears to be triggering off an interesting bug, but I believe it is being caused by an inadvertent bug in your module.

Your First Player card in the First Player stack fires off a series of ALT-SHIFT-R commands to move cards to the Current Event Deck. This is done by the Global Key Command with the description ‘Send command to ancient military deck to seed current event deck at game beginning’ which has the property Match Expression ‘Category=Military&&Epoch=Age A’.

The problem is that since no DeckName or zone name is specifed, then the Global Key Command is applied not only to cards in the Ancient Military Deck, but also to the cards that have already been moved to the Current Events Deck. So each card is moved from Ancient Military to Current Events, and then the 2nd and subsequent cards are moved again from the Current Events Deck to the Current Events Deck.

The actual bug you have triggered is a special case involving trying to Return the top card of a Deck to the Deck it is already in. The merge says you can’t merge a card with itself, so it drops it in the same location but not in the Stack.

The short-term workaround is to change the Property Match Expression in the seed card to

Category=Military&&Epoch=Age A&&DeckName =Ancient Military
and recreate your Save games setups.

I’m working on a fix now. I think the easiest fix is that if you try to Return a Card to a Deck it is already in, do nothing.

Regards,
Brent.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 10/01/2009 at 3:38 PM Dave Neumann wrote:

David,

I have fixed the bug and it will be incorporated into tomorrows daily build. Your existing module should then work unchanged.

However, while editing your module, there where a number of strange issues with the Decks setup in the saved game files you have in this module. These irregularities did not appear when I added a new setup to create a ‘clean’ new game. I don’t know how old these setups are, but I would strongly recommend that you recreate the 3 setups included in the module from scratch.

Regards,
Brent.

Messages mailing list

Brent,

I’m not sure I understand the ‘irregularites’ you’re talking about…can you elaborate?

Dave

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:31 AM, Brent Easton <b.easton@exemail.com.au (b.easton@exemail.com.au)> wrote: