Change to the Set Global Property trait requested

If a Set Global Property trait is set up for player input, it always has a Cancel button. I’ve found that if a player hits the cancel button, not only is there no value entered but the process will continue to the end which, in my case, can mess up a few things.

If it’s possible, I would suggest an option in the Set Global Property trait to suppress the Cancel button. This would force the player to enter some sort of value before clicking OK.

I would find that extremely helpful.

Thanx!

To get around this, add a failsafe trigger at end of sequence which checks the value of the GP. If it equals the unexpected value, loop and relaunch the prompt. This is how I handle it.

Essentially the player input prompt will always appear to be active until you input a valid value and get past the failsafe trigger

To: messages@forums.vassalengine.org
Sent: Thu, May 20, 2010 9:16:39 AM
Subject: [Feature Requests]Change to the Set Global Property trait requested

If a Set Global Property trait is set up for player input, it always has a Cancel button. I’ve found that if a player hits the cancel button, not only is there no value entered but the process will continue to the end which, in my case, can mess up a few things.

If it’s possible, I would suggest an option in the Set Global Property trait to suppress the Cancel button. This would force the player to enter some sort of value before clicking OK.

I would find that extremely helpful.

Thanx!

Dr_Nostromo

Creator - To Be King, Trivial Wars, WWIV

Dr Nostromo’s Place (drnostromo.com/)

Dr Nostromo’s Forum (tobeking.19.forumer.com/)

Need help with Vassal? Call me on Skype - dr_nostromo

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org (Messages@forums.vassalengine.org)
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thanx for the suggestion. I’ll keep that in mind. But, in my case, any value would valid so there’s nothing check. I just don’t want the operation canceled.

But, if I have to come up with some failsafe trigger, I guess I can come up with something.

Thanx

On May 20, 2010, at 7:16 AM, Dr_Nostromo wrote:

Actually, I would say that the problem is that the process continues to the end. The cancel button really should stop things from going forward any more. I don’t know the details of this particular case, so I can’t say if this would be easy to accomplish, but cancel really should mean cancel, as in abort whatever is going on.

I don’t really like that suggestion, on general user interaction grounds:

1. I could have started this operation by accident, and I would like to get out of it.
  2. I don’t really know what a reasonable value is, and I don’t want to be forced to guess
  3. For some other reason, I’d like to go back and not do this.

The general principle is to keep the user in control, and not force him or her to do something just for the convenience of the programmer. That is also why it is generally better UI design to avoid modal dialogs and have non-modal ones whenever possible.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)