Counters don't show numbers or name

Hey all,

After I upgraded to a new computer (see specs below) and reinstalled VASSAL on it, there are no numbers or names showing up on counters when playing the Here I Stand module (see screenshot). I have checked in the Vassal preferences file that user and pass are the correct, and I am indeed given the same side as before. I have of course also tried to update Java, reinstall Vassal and HIS, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[attachment=0]HIS.png[/attachment]

SPECS

• System: MacBook Pro Retina 15" (late 2013)
  • Processor: 2.3 GHz intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 1024 MB
  • Vassal version: 3.2.9
  • Java version: 7 (update 51)
  • Vassal module name and version: Here I Stand, v. 3.1

This is a known issue on Macs that have Retina displays. For some reason they won’t display text elements in SVG images. Unfortunately, I don’t think a solution has yet been found for this. The HIS module is my creation and I’ve had this reported from others, including someone I play with online.

EDIT: Upon inspecting the earlier threads on this, I think it was determined to be a bug in Java that only rears its ugly head on Retina displays.

Oh, that’s good to know (even if it means that there is no solution right now). Thanks for the swift answer and thanks for the great module, too. Apart from this one Java issue, it’s been working really well for us.

If anyone knows of a fix, I’m obviously still keen to hear about it, though.

Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The whole point of using SVG in the first place was for things to look good…and now it turns out on the most advanced Macs available they don’t display correctly at all. It’s really aggravating.

Thus spake JoelCFC25:

Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The whole point of using SVG
in the first place was for things to look good…and now it turns
out on the most advanced Macs available they don’t display correctly at
all. It’s really aggravating.

I asked on the Batik list if they had any ideas about the cause last
Februrary, but never got a reply:

batik.2283329.n4.nabble.com/Prob … 55456.html

If you want to move the ball forward with this problem, here’s what
to try:

Take one of the SVG images containing text in the VQ module and wrap it
in a element with a transform that has a small rotation, something
like … , which would rotate everything
by 1 degree. Put that image into a test module along with the original,
load it on an afflicted Mac, and tell us what you see.

J.

If anyone using a Mac with a Retina display is still around, I have a test module to see if the proposed workaround works.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/189 … ation.vmod (17 KB)

There are four copies of an SVG image from my Virgin Queen module on the map. In order from left to right, they have: no rotation, 0.1 degree of rotation, 1 degree of rotation, and 10 degrees of rotation.

I guess we should expect that the text on the left-most image will not render. The question is, do any of the remaining 3 display their text?

Had someone I know test this out on a Retina display:

So it appears that any non-zero amount of rotation allows the text to display properly. He was also able to test on an Apple Thunderbolt display, and all four images displayed the text.

lordbaltimore, try the current development build, 3.2.11-svn8984:

vassalengine.sourceforge.net/builds/

Does that fix the problem for you?