Crash adding images in 3.5.4

Benkyo, when exactly does the crash occur?

I haven’t had any problems with image adding… but.

I have had a very occasional problem for ages, which seems to have gotten more common recently, of Vassal crashing when the file dialog comes up. Most normally, open module, hit ‘load game or log’, the file system dialog comes up, and the module immediately crashes/closes.

So, Benkyo, is this happening right as the file system dialog for choosing your image file comes up?

Also, could you please check your Windows application log event logs for any errors? This appears to be crashing straight out of Java, so we may get some info there:

Event Viewer → Windows Logs → Application

Thanks.

Can’t remember the exact timing, but I think after I selected the image to add, so not when the file system dialog appear.

Brent, yes, got some Vassal errors here (can’t upload extension MTA) drive.google.com/file/d/1WbV0e7 … sp=sharing

Faulting application name: java.exe, version: 15.0.2.0, time stamp: 0x60096bd1
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.804, time stamp: 0x0e9c5eae
Exception code: 0x00000675
Fault offset: 0x000000000010bd5c
Faulting process ID: 0x4a80
Faulting application start time: 0x01d729103add0824
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.5.4\jre\bin\java.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 5c3d2832-5bdf-4101-a759-51c2a37518a7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. That error has been reported sporadically over the years.

It is likely being caused by another piece of software you have installed on your system that is interfering with Java and causing it to crash. Perhaps some sort of third party accelerator or utility software? Are you trying to save the module on google drive or some sort of Cloud storage? Anything else unusual in your setup you can think of?

I am looking for info on how we can get more details on the crash from your system.

Regards.

You might try 3.5.5, as that comes bundled with Java 16 instead of Java 15.

Not fixed in 3.5.5

No conflict or unusual use case comes to mind. Just working off a hard drive as usual, nothing running other than a pdf viewer, photoshop, discord, steam, epic, skype, outlook…

The crash occurs after selecting the image file, which momentarily appears as an entirely black image in the editor before the crash.

Have you tried turning off the Direct 3D pipeline? It sure sounds like a graphics driver issue to me…

Thanks, can you explain what turning off the Direct 3D pipeline means/entails?

It’s an option somewhere in the Preferences window for VASSAL (I’m guessing the Compatibility tab?)–I’m not sure exactly where, because I’m running on Linux, and that option is only for Windows.

Crash just occurred while the turn off the Direct 3D pipeline option was selected.

That’s a shame. What graphics systems are these 2 computers using? Are they both the same? Have you checked to make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date?

The one I’m running now uses NVidia drivers, up to date. The one at work I don’t know.

Latest crashes were just adding button images, and there’s no way to get around that. I’m just getting paranoid about saving now.

Could you please try the following.

1. Go to the VASSAL temp directory at C:\Users<your windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL
  2. Edit the file vassal.vmoptions
  3. Add a line at the bottom:
    -XX:ErrorFile=C:\Users<your windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\jvm_crash.log

After your next crash, post the latest application error logged in the Windows Event viewer, plus the contents of the jvm_crash.log file (it will be quite large).

Thanks,
Brent.

Had you restarted VASSAL after turning off Direct3D? You have to restart VASSAL for that setting to take effect.

Yes.

I’ll make the vmoptions edit and see what we can see.

Tentative de création d’un module en 3.5.4, rencontrant fréquemment des plantages lors de l’ajout d’images.