Disconnecting from server while standing by

I am regularly disconnected from the server while logged in to a module and waiting for a game in the main room. I don’t have this problem when I’m actually playing a game.

I’ve checked the options for the both VASSAL and the module itself and don’t see an option regarding a timer for inactivity on the server. Is this a problem on my end? Or maybe with the module itself? I’ve been experiencing the problem with the Combat Commander: Europe module, which is what I have been playing lately, although I have had the problem on other modules.

Thus spake “billgoode”:

It’s very unlikely that the problem is the module. It’s probably one of the
following: your internet connection, the game server dropping inactive
connections, a connectivity problem between you and the game server. Once
we switch to the new game server, we may be able to tell whether thee old
game server was the cause. Sorry if that’s not very helpful.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

After a long period of inactivity in game (opponent or me thinking about next move) I’m also disconnected - no commands go through and one of us has to synchronize.

I think adopting the new server with proven protocol will be a good enchancement of Vassal.

I remember this discussion quite some time ago as I have the same problem. If I leave a game for about 10 minutes or so (like to go have a cigarette and get a beer), my connection is dropped.

At the time of the previous discussion, no one could figure out why that was happening to me as it doesn’t happen to everybody …nor has it ever happened to my opponent. Thought it may be a memory resident program on my machine or something to do with the router but I don’t get dropped from anything else after long periods of absence and I never have been able to isolate the problem.

Seems to be a mystery glitch for some people.

Let’s wait for the jabbering vassal then :slight_smile:

Something just occurred to me.

If I’m connected to my FTP to upload/download files and make adjustments to my web site, I’ll get disconnected if there’s no activity for roughly 10 minutes.

Is it possible that my ISP recognizes the Vassal server as an FTP connection? That would certainly explain the disconnects.

Thus spake “Dr_Nostromo”:

It’s not likely that your ISP is doing anything to disconnect your idle FTP
connections. That’s just how FTP servers are—they drop idle connections
eventually.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)