Does Vassal run on 10s?

My computer died recently. One of the few things I do with it was play Vassal. (Mostly I look at the news and stuff on my phone). I noticed that the tablets are cheaper than the laptops. Does VASSAL run on 10s? Or do you need windows 10?

I’m certainly not a Windows expert, but a quick Google search seems to say
that Java (needed for Vassal) is not available for 10s.

For inexpensive web browsing, Chromebooks are an option. But they don’t run
Java either. You would need to get a laptop at least. You would want to get
a fair bit of RAM for Vassal, but I don’t think you need a big graphics
card or an otherwise high end machine.

But I’ll let others comment on that.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018, 4:58 PM chris99 chrisudziela@msn.com wrote:

My computer died recently. One of the few things I do with it was play
Vassal. (Mostly I look at the news and stuff on my phone). I noticed
that the tablets are cheaper than the laptops. Does VASSAL run on 10s?
Or do you need windows 10?

Read this topic online here:
Does Vassal run on 10s?

messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

I have the same question (generally) about minimum system requirements for a Windows notebook. For reasons I don’t care to get into, I don’t have a Windows machine available to me when I travel — I would only need this thing when I’m traveling, so I’m looking at something with an ATOM or Celeron processor, around 4GB of RAM. Would that work?

Hey Chris,

I run Win 10 with Java 8.0 and Vassal Editor works. I have not experienced any serious problems with
it and my machine is a desktop.
Keep the Vassal program in your home drive and your module folder not in the same folder as Vassal program.
I had some problems because of that, but a member in this Forum kindly pointed out my error.

Give it a try.

I can confirm that Windows 10 with Java 8.0 allows Vassal to run. I haven’t used it for a while though, as I switched to something else quickly, but it did work.

Vassal runs on Java so anything that Java supports is fine. Except for Macbooks, they malfunction sometimes. vassal is more friendly with big screens so its advisable that you save up some money and buy laptop. There are even certain tablets which support keyboard. well its upto your convenance.