Drag and Drop problem (Bug 2296067)

I had this bug fire off on me last night. Unfortunately, after reviewing the error log, I managed to delete it without saving or submitting it :frowning:

However, I did glean some useful information from the additional log info I added:- The offending DragGesture was generated 10 milliseconds after the previous DragGesture, but was based on exactly the same set of events.

It seems pretty clear to me that a bug in the JVM is occasionally generating a spurious DragGestureRecognized event.

I believe we can detect this case and ignore it, but I eagerly await any more bug submissions from people who see thison beta 6.

B.

Thus spake ā€œBrent Eastonā€:

Doh.

Strange.

I wonder if this problem would go away if we switched to the Swing DnD
classes, from the AWT DnD classes we use now? Iā€™m not suggesting we do this
before 3.1, but I might give it a try after that. (The DnD code could use
some refactoring anyhow.)

ā€“
J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ ā€¦ engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Ah, that rings a bell. This bug has been reported before when using AWT DnD classes with Swing components.

Yes, I think your suggestion is a good one, but definitely not in 3.1.0. It would be good for a 3.1.x release perhaps.

In the meantime, I am fairly confident that just quietly catching and ignoring the Exception and returning with no action will solve our problem until we do refactor.

B.

Messages mailing list

Joel,

I have cleaned up the debug code and committed a temporary fix in swampwallaby-work4@4643.

Basically, we just ignore the Exception for now. My research indicates this problem should go away when the AWT DnD is replaced by Swing DnD.

B.

Thus spake ā€œBrent Eastonā€:

Ok. Because this is such a hard problem to reproduce, I think we should do
this toward the beginning of 3.2 development, in order to give us maximum
time to see if our changes were successful.

Merged to trunk@4646.

ā€“
J.

Messages mailing list