Editing Layer Images in 3.5.1

Big problem here. If I edit a layer trait of a piece by selecting an updated, same file name, image the new image doesn’t show up until I save the module, close the module and then reopen it. So no immediate confirmation that you selected the correct image. This works properly in 3.2.17. There the new image shows up as soon as you click the OK button after selecting the image file with the same file name even before OKing the layer trait.

I am having trouble reproducing this. Could you please describe exactly what you mean by ‘new image doesn’t show up’?

Thanks.

Attached is a sample module created using the VASSAL 3.5.2-SNAPSHOT-module_list-ef53af5e2 editor you gave me earlier.

In it is just a simple map and just one piece. The piece has a layer trait with the 2nd layer being an orange tinted circle. The other attached file (copy in the root directory of the module file) is a blue hex outline image with the same file name as the orange tinted circle. If you edit the module and change the 2nd layer image from the orange circle to the blue hex outline, you can’t see that the editor accepted the blue hex outline image until you save the module, close it and then open it again in the editor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim

Thanks for the explanation, I had missed the key point that you are loading a new version of an image with the same name.

Will need Joel to comment to this.

Thanks, Brent. I sure hope you, Joel and the others still find fixing these thing fun as well as challenging. :slight_smile:

Try 3.5.2-SNAPSHOT-bug14088-9a3cea5e7: vassalengine.org/~uckelman/tmp/

Does that solve the problem you’re seeing?

Sorry, still doesn’t work. The change occurs it’s just that I can’t see it until I save the module, close the module and then open it up again.

Try 3.5.4-SNAPSHOT-bug14088-ab6bfeb7c: vassalengine.org/~uckelman/tmp/

Does that work?

Joel,

That did it! Works like back in the old days. :slight_smile:

Thanks!!!

Jim

I still have this problem or a similar one in 3.6.7. I have a Basic Piece trait image. I re-work the image file and clear and add it again. The old image still shows up. I think I need to change close and re-edit/open the module to see the right image. (Not to mention that I need to delete my extra copies of the pieces in deck and then duplicate them again.)

What do you mean by “clear” it? Can you describe the process in the Editor you’re using? Be as exhaustive with your details as possible.

Is this meant to be a separate issue, or linked to the one above?

By “clear” I mean clicking on the Clear button. I think the details are, edit the Basic Piece trait, click Add. Select the image file (it’s the exact same location, but the graphics in the file have been updated). Click OK etc. Try the game out (New game without re-loading the module) and the old image is still there.

Yes the “delete” part is a separate issue. Sorry for the extra venting but that makes for a lot of extra work. I have 2-6 copies of most of the tiles in my game (more if I ever get to playtesting with more than a couple people).

Have you tried refreshing the counters in play under tools?

Ah, thanks. Didn’t know that was there! Will try it next time I change some artwork.

The Refresh Counters tool–while very useful and valuable–does not impact image assets, just piece definitions. It ought to have no bearing on what you’re experiencing with the replaced image issue, at least. I’m still not clear on the bounds of the other issue, which you confirmed is separate. If you are loading predefined setups after making changes and not seeing those changes reflected, Refresh Counters is very likely to help in that case.

I don’t use predefined setups.