error message with move fixed distance commands in 3.1-6

I’m getting this error message when I try to move a piece using the move fixed distance trait:

error.data_error_heading
bad data found in module or saved game
not all numbers: 0,0

What does this mean? I only get the message the first time I move a piece.

Here’s a skeleton version of the module. Just open up “Saratoga_2-0_working_2.mod” and try to use the commands to move the morale marker to the left or right.

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=display&module_id=473&page=Files

The “Distance Upwards” value of the Moved Fixed Distance trait is not optional. You have to put in 0 as the argument. This may be a bug.

• M.

2008/12/7 rfdoane <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Michael Kiefte, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
School of Human Communication Disorders
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
tel: +1 902 494 5150
fax: +1 902 494 5151

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Not really a bug so much. However, it would be nice if we had validators on the traits. The default y translation is 60 (?) which is odd. I suspect people’s first reaction is to just delete it which results in errors.

• M.

2008/12/8 Michael Kiefte <mkiefte@dal.ca (mkiefte@dal.ca)>

It is not that simple. The fields in question can all contain $xxxx$ variables, so it is not possible to test them to see if they are numeric.

One of the changes I have lined up for 3.2 will add a small Calculator Icon at the end of all fields that can take $xxx$ variables to make it clear where these can be used. (Clicking on the calculator will open up an expression editor that will allow you to enter a validated in-line Calculated Expression (i.e. formula), but that’s another story).

I think the solution in this case is that the Move Fixed Distance should evaluate null and blank as 0.

B.

I commited r4648 which does just that. Module works fine now.

On another note, this is another image that my laptop struggles with, but it’s a JPEG. Up until now, I’ve been largely looking at maps generated by the importer, so they were pretty vanilla.

• M.

That did the trick. Thanks guys!