Fedora/EPEL Packaging 3.2.13

Dear Vassal Devs - Please accept this introduction from a vassal engine user who loved playing Guns of August using it. My PCs are all linux aka Fedora/CentOS platform machines. As such I have packaged the vassal engine for Fedora/EPEL and submitted it for consideration to the Fedora Devs. I welcome your feedback and input. To date the Fedora Packaging process has flagged warnings on some of the dependancy licenses for incorrect urls and a lack of a man page. You’ll find I created a crude manpage for vassal to meet Fedora requirements. Please see boblfoot.fedorapeople.org/vassal/ for the SRPM, SPEC, rpmlint and vassal.1.gz manpage file as well as the el7 RPM. As with all FSF/FOSS work use and enjoy. Sincerely, Bob Lightfoot

Thus spake BobLfoot via messages:

Dear Vassal Devs - Please accept this introduction from a vassal engine
user who loved playing Guns of August using it. My PCs are all linux
aka Fedora/CentOS platform machines. As such I have packaged the vassal
engine for Fedora/EPEL and submitted it for consideration to the Fedora
Devs.

Thanks! It’s something we’ve been meaning to do for quite some time now.

I welcome your feedback and input.

I looked over the spec file. Comments:

1. I see that we’re leaving Vengine.jar with some odd permissions, which
    you clean up. It looks like that’s the jar command’s fault. I’ll fix
    that in or Makefile so you won’t need to handle it in the spec file.

2. What’s you reason for creating a launch script? We have a launch
    script already in dist/VASSAL.sh.

J.

You’re more than welcome. In response to your astute observations.

1. Thanks for handling the permissions in the Makefile. Despite having an AAS in Electronics and BS in Mathematics, both with Computer Science Minors, I am still a bit of a “hack” when it comes to structured languages. Especially since I’ve spent the past 20+ years working with PLC and only hobby work on PC.

2. I must admit this spec file was “borrowed” from Magelia Cauldron as a starting point and the launcher script was theirs. I am working on a revision which uses the dist/VASSAL.sh and see what issues arise.

3. I would also welcome someone to review and discuss the manpage with. I did not find one in your sources, but I may have missed this.

Bob

Sorted out the “custom” vassal launch script. if dist/vassal.sh is dropped in as /usr/bin/vassal.sh it fails to find VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager. This appears to be because INSTALL_DIR is returning/searching /bin/lib not /usr/lib/vassal/lib as it should be. Not sure why, but copying dist/vassal.sh to /usr/lib/vassal/vassal.sh will work. For top level finding the link /usr/bin/vassal.sh points to /usrlib/vassal/vassal.sh. Hope I have explained this. And welcome solution suggestions.

boblfoot.fedorapeople.org/vassal/3.2.13-2/ has Fedora/EPEL rpm and stuff for vassal-3.2.13 with modifications.

Thus spake BobLfoot via messages:

Sorted out the “custom” vassal launch script. if dist/vassal.sh is
dropped in as /usr/bin/vassal.sh it fails to find
VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager. This appears to be because INSTALL_DIR is
returning/searching /bin/lib not /usr/lib/vassal/lib as it should be.
Not sure why, but copying dist/vassal.sh to /usr/lib/vassal/vassal.sh
will work.

This is because the script expects to be in the directory which
contains the lib directory containing Vengine.jar. I’ll think about
what to do about this and get back to you. (Actually, your original
solution might have been the correct one for an RPM.)

J.