Fire In The Lake - American track counter error

Love the Fire In The Lake VASSAL Module. I am using it to bone up on the rules so I can jump into a local FTF game session. I am setting up the Full Game scenario to work through the Play Book

I can not get the US Support+Avail counter to show the correct count. I carefully set up the board according to the full scenario setup.

The board shows 15 total support + 2 avail US bases +21 avail US Troops = 38 which the scenario shows it should be.
The counter on the track shows 21

I am using V1.4 mod and VASSAL engine 3.2.15

Am I overlooking something?

• Jedi Jack

Hm, this bug has existed since 2015! US “Available + Support” is calculated wrongly because US bases are not counted as part of “Available”.

Has anyone let the maintainer of the module know about the problem? (You can typically find the maintainer’s contact email on the page for the module, but that’s visible only if you’re logged in.)

I have just written to the maintainer now. However, on closer inspection, I was wrong about the cause of this bug, because I have found that when I move troops and bases in and out of the Available box, the marker moves correctly. It seems that it is only the starting position that is wrong.

Oh, and one more thing: I was wrong in another way too! I actually found the bug in the Short scenario setup, but JediJack back in 2015 found his bug in the Full scenario, and I just checked it. The original bug is gone. Probably long ago.

My bug is thereby a new bug, and not the same that JediJack reported.

Sorry about the confusion.

Sounds like the bug was fixed but the Predefined Setups weren’t updated. Just open the module in the editor, go to the Tools menu, and select Refresh Pre-defined Setups, then save again.

I did correct the setup for the ongoing game, but I had not thought of fixing the predefined setups.

That was a good idea. Thank you.

Sigh - I have been silly as usual. There is no bug after all, or not the one I was thinking of. I thought the module specified that there were 14 US troops available when there are actually only 12. This made either the number of available US troops wrong or the “Support + Available” wrong. I have now found that I was reading the “Total US Available” as being troops only, but it is troops plus bases.

My confusion comes from the fact that there is no visible count of how many US troops alone are available, whereas there is such a count for the other players.

This is the real bug: the module designer has created a count of available US troops, but it is not visible, because it is hidden behind some other element. I have found out how to correct it (so this time I am sure that I am right):

The “USATroops” deck should be at
X: 2663
Y: 378
And the “Number of USA Troops” At-Start Stack should be at
X: 2670
Y: 346

There is only one catch: I can’t update the pre-defined scenarios with these values, because the Refresh tool does not update At-Start Stacks, and I do not feel like creating all the pre-defined scenarios from scratch.

So I’ll just have to live with it as it is.