Fullscreen for map?

Is it possible to show only the MAP part of the vassal window in fullscreen mode?

It would be very handy (especially on a laptop with quite a small screen) to toggle this mode with a shortcut (e.g. F11).
Because in many modules the buttons at the top use a lot of space and so the shown part of the map gets smaller.
Changing fast between fullscreen and normal mode by using a shortcut would be very comfortable and improve the immersion into the map.

1 Like

I know it’s not exactly what you’re asking for, but I just want to point out that there is an option in the Preferences menu to split the Main Map window from the Chat (and any other) window(s) (turn off “Use combined application window” from File/Preferences/General, then close and reopen the module). You’ll sill have a Toolbar at the top if the Map has any buttons associated with it, but that’s about as close as I think you can get to what you want at the moment.

1 Like

Thank you very much - that is an improvement!

Probably the size of the buttons depends on the module, because some modules have really big buttons still on top of the map - wasting a lot of space…

Maybe it’s not too difficult to change that. I have to invest some time in informing myself about tweaking existing modules.

Is there any feature request already for Vassal to implement a “real” fullscreen mode? It is so common in many programs, and I think it should be possible with Java.

The height of the toolbar depends entirely on the height of the tallest button on it, and that is controlled by the size of the images and text on the buttons. You could theoretically open the .vmod file in a ZIP program (a module is simply a ZIP archive with a different extension), extract the images for the buttons from the “images” folder, resize them, then put them back in with the same names.

If the text of a button is causing it to be too large, you would have to manually edit the text in the module editor (you can use HTML to control the font & size, if necessary).

Thank you very much for your help.

In the “images” folder there are sometimes hundreds of images. Is there an easy way to find out only the names of the images used for the buttons? (I suppose, these names are written in a definition file. But how can I easily find it?)

The easiest way would be to open the module for editing and find the button definitions in the editor; they should list which image is being used for each.

They show the image, but not the filename. You might want to browse the extracted folder of module images in thumbnail view and sort them by smallest file sizes first.