Getting laptop, any tips for vassal use?

I’m going to have to break down and get another laptop for work soon. Since what I need it for at work is very basic, internet access, office suite stuff, etc., I don’t need to get anything too powerful.

I do, of course, have to make sure it will run vassal well.

So, I’m wondering if anyone has any feedback about the following:

1. Does Vassal work smoothly with Windows 8? I have 7 on my home PC and our other laptop, and I’m not anxious to upgrade, but I think it’s likely whatever I buy will have 8. Which leads me to the following question.

2. Has anyone used any of the new convertible/flip top type laptops with vassal? I’m wondering if the tablet implementation, using the touch screen, works well or not? I realize that my screen size would probably be small, but I’m wondering how the touch screen functions with vassal, otherwise.

3. Do any of you have a recently purchased laptop for a good price that you find works really well with vassal? I don’t really need any other features beyond what would come on any laptop. I’d love to spend in the $600 range or less, but can go as high as $1,000. I don’t even know what laptops go for these days.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

I don’t have any experience with Win8 but I can tell you the experience I’ve had with laptops and Vassal lately.

I bought a laptop last year specifically with Windows 7 as it’s been rated as the best and most stable Windows OS. In order to do that, however, I had to buy a refurbished ASUS through Wal-mart as everything new now runs Win8 …and I couldn’t be happier. The system is fully loaded and Vassal runs like a charm. Cost me a bit over $400. You may want to consider that.

I certainly will, thank you. Just don’t let the psychotic cat with the machine gun loose near me, please…

Thanks for that feedback, you may end up saving me a bunch of money.