Grid numbering using tileable boards

I have an issue similar to that of Kimble from 2013 which seems to have been ignored. Would like to have global properties for row and column numbers when using multiple boards, that can be added to the grid number. They don’t need to display on the map; it’s more important that they can be included when reporting moves to chat.

For example: Roman INF moves from R2C1:1123 to R2C1:1126

Could you please provide a link to the conversation in question, or provide a more detailed description of your issue please.

Regards.

As far as I can tell the 2013 post from “Kimble” was never replied to.

What I have in a module under development are a number of “tileable” boards that can be used in multiple rows and columns. They aren’t like ASL or Panzerblitz “isomorphic” boards, they are identical. So having a “board name” in addition to a grid numbere doesn’t uniquely identify a hex.

So what I would like is a global property that identifies a row number and a column number as in my prior example.
Roman INF moves from R2C1:1123 to R2C1:1126

Where “R2C1” would be the board in the second row and first column.

Would a screen capture example (or two) help?

A piece moving from one board to another might be reported as
Macedonian CAV moves from R1C1:1123 to R1C2:1102

Trying to add the board info (row/column) to the map display strikes me as a nightmare. Somewhere in the engine that row and column information has to have been present to construct the game map, so making them global properties seems relatively straight-forward.

I’m not quite ready to download the Vassal source and look into doing it myself.

As far as I can tell the 2013 post from “Kimble” was never replied to.

Sorry, missed that one.

I think what you are asking for is a grid that can be applied at the Map level that will cover any and all boards defined within that Map with a single grid.

Unfortunately, the architecture of Vassal does not support this and it would be a nightmare to try and shoehorn it in.

So what I would like is a global property that identifies a row number and a column number as in my prior example.

But Rows and Columns are defined by the Grid, which can only be applied to Boards. Rows and columns do not exist at a Map level.

I think the best approach would be to use the current architecture and create one identical Hex Grid per board. Then code a custom GridNumbering to apply to each Hex Grid that takes the current boards position within the map into account to calculate a map based row and column number.

Regards.

I think the best approach would be to use the current architecture and create one identical Hex Grid per board. Then code a custom GridNumbering to apply to each Hex Grid that takes the current boards position within the map into account to calculate a map based row and column number.

What global(?) properties will tell me the board position within the Grid? Your reply suggests that such properties already exist

None, I am suggesting you will need to write custom Java code to replace the existing GridNumbering component do that.