Help Mac Peeps? - Getting Vassal 3.2.17 to install/run

Hi Mac folks,

It would be very useful to me, in testing/comparing/fixing the new Vassal versions, and making sure they work right on the Mac, if I could be able to also get Vassal 3.2.17 to run on the Mac (to be clear: I’m not NORMALLY a Mac user, I’m borrowing my wife’s Mac to test things).

I’ve tried getting the Java 8 SDK and/or JRE from adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html? … nt=hotspot
And then it seeeeeems like it has installed them.

And then I pull down the Mac version of 3.2.17 from the Vassal old-versions archive. And install that, and it seems like it’s there.

But when I launch Vassal, the icon just pulses for a second, and then closes. No error message, no other information.

Everything works fine when I load one of the NEW versions of Vassal (3.3.0+) with bundled Java, and I can load any of Joel’s test builds.

But I’m failing the “Mac IQ Test” on getting 3-2-17 to actually run. No idea if I’ve (a) installed Java wrong, (b) installed the wrong Java, (c) have installed it but not somehow “turned it on”, (d) have installed Vassal 3.2.17 wrong. And no idea how to check.

Any help would be most useful.

Brian

As a first step you can find out whether Java is properly installed, enter “java -version” on the command line. A proper answer looks roughly like this:

openjdk version "1.8.0_252"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_252-8u252-b09-1ubuntu1-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.252-b09, mixed mode)

If it instead tells you something like, could not find java, then the problem is the Java installation.

If Java is properly installed, you can probably try the “other” distribution of Vassal, the VASSAL.sh bash script might even work on a Mac.

Not a Mac user but they say “Mac is also a Unix” and I’ve seen coworkers use the command line and bash just like I use them on Linux.

I’ll post my results from that next time I get hold of my wife’s computer (she’s back on a zoom call, heh)

It says it’s running 14.0.1 or whatever, so that’s obviously not good.

I tried following some random internet instructions for “how to uninstall java from your Mac” but that appeared to have no effect at all.

So far I’ve figured out how to switch JAVA_HOME to the right version (and get java -version to return right results) within a single terminal window, but then it doesn’t propagate to the rest of the system, nor become the default.

This article speaks of editing a .bash_profile file, which “does not exist” for me
medium.com/@devkosal/switching- … bc868e686a

So now, from: stackoverflow.com/questions/228 … -os-x-10-9

I have my “java -version” consistently showing 1.8. But opening VASSAL just produces “nothing” (icon pulses and nothing happens). Tried installed 3.2.17, you know, seven or eight more times.

Eventually I got terminal to open it with “open -a VASSAL”. Not sure if I had to be right in the directory with VASSAL.sh when I did that, but at that point I was.

Good God.

That article about switching the default JDK is good but it still doesn’t switch the system-wide default, only the default inside the terminal.

Oh and welcome to the *nix world, you now know how to change settings inside a single terminal session, and how to remember the settings for all future terminal sessions, on macs, linuxes, probably most/all other kinds of unixes, and if you have the “git bash” for windows it should work the same way, with the same .bash_profile configuration file.

The “bash” is one of the many possible terminals / command-line interpreters, it’s actually a whole scripting language, like “.bat” on ms-dos / windows but way more powerful, and the file .bash_profile is pretty much like the autoexec.bat on ms-dos, but for multiuser systems so every user gets his own.

The Stack Overflow article (or rather the +300 upvotes answer to it) had a solution that let me set everything in a “lasting way”.

I figured this thread might be helpful in case someone else stumbles along later with the same problem :slight_smile: