Hex Center Dot

Howdy Gents,

I’ve a bit of a problem. The module I’m now working on, the game I’m working on requires a center dot in the hex for LOS determination. However, the map wasn’t drawn with said center dots.

So, I’m wondering if there’s a way Vassal can put a visible center dot on the map? And yes, I know the hexes are not perfect and thus any center dot placed will be something off center, the more so as we get closer to the South East corner of the board. Can’t be helped. My hex grid is not far from perfect, so it will not be that far off .

Can Vassal do this? And How?

Thanks,
Tom

I would try the ‘Draw Center dots’ option of the Hex Grid component :slight_smile:

It’s amazing how far out the hex grid can be, even on recent games. In the worst case, I had to create zones in different parts the map and add hex grids fitted to the hexes in that zone.

I thought of Draw Center dots’ option, but nothing showed up, and yes I did tap the Show Grid, but as expected, the grid showed up, but the center dot didn’t.

No, not expected at all. There appears to be 2 separate issues:

1. Grids are no longer drawing if they are defined inside a multi-zoned grid, only if they are defined directly inside a board.

2. Centre Dots only draw if the grid draws, you can’t have centre dots only.

Centre Dots only draw if the grid draws, you can’t have centre dots only.

That answers the question. Don’t need a second grid, only the center dots. C’est la vie.

Thanks,
Tom

I’m working on fixing both problems for 3.5.9

1. Seems to be a caching/tiling issue. Works fine after reloading module.

2. Fix for this submitted for 3.5.9.

Try the most recent 3.5.9 build here: vassalengine.org/builds/