How are we connected to each other?

Hi. Brand new to this incredible program, and have a quick question…

How are individual modules connected over a server? If I am playing an old module of game X, will I see/be able to interact with people playing the newest module version of game X? I have a game module I would like to share so that people can enjoy it, but whenever I go on the server there are other people playing a 10 year old version. Are servers, modules, and players pooled together based soley on the name of the Module?

Thanks

Thus spake cjmeate:

Hi. Brand new to this incredible program, and have a quick question…

How are individual modules connected over a server? If I am playing an
old module of game X, will I see/be able to interact with people playing
the newest module version of game X? I have a game module I would like
to share so that people can enjoy it, but whenever I go on the server
there are other people playing a 10 year old version.

Have you released the module somewhere that others can get it? (E.g., on
the module’s page in our module library?) Have you checked whether the
older version of the module is still maintained?

J.

I have not released the Module anywhere. It is a version of Munchkin. When I play on the already existing module, it seems like there are always people playing. On top of that, when I log into my Module (used same base set up and changed EVERYTHING) I still see many others online. So, my question is, what does it require to connect with other people? Do you need the exact same Module name or version?

Thus spake cjmeate:

So, my question is, what does it require to connect with other people?
Do you need the exact same Module name or version?

You need the same version of the module as the other people with whom
you intend to play.

J.

If you have created a new version of an existing module, then you will need to give it a different Game Name in the Module component (the very first component at the top of the Edit screen that all other components belong to. For Example, call it ‘Munchkin v2’ or ‘Munchkin New’.

When you connect to a vassal server, this name is used to group people together into rooms. This is why you see people in the same room as you when you connect using your new module.

Brent.