How do I actually join a live game

Ok, so I can pull up a server list when I open Vassal, but this is just information and not actually an interface. Apparently I need to open a specific module, and then show the server control. At this point, I’m in a room called Main Room all by myself - and none of the servers that were/are displayed in the server list earlier are present for some reason.

So then I thought I was supposed to type in the name of the game I wanted to join in the “New Game” field. However, that does not join a game. It doesn’t even create a new game in the room called Main Room. It creates a new room with the name I typed, parallel to Main Room. This isn’t a module issue as I’ve tested it with multiple modules. It’s Vassal 3.2.11 and I have the newest Java; running it on Win 7. What am I doing wrong?

Thus spake DBlumentritt:

Ok, so I can pull up a server list when I open Vassal, but this is just
information and not actually an interface. Apparently I need to open a
specific module, and then show the server control. At this point, I’m
in a room called Main Room all by myself - and none of the servers that
were/are displayed in the server list earlier are present for some
reason.

So then I thought I was supposed to type in the name of the game I
wanted to join in the “New Game” field. However, that does not join a
game. It doesn’t even create a new game in the room called Main Room. It
creates a new room with the name I typed, parallel to Main Room. This
isn’t a module issue as I’ve tested it with multiple modules. It’s
Vassal 3.2.11 and I have the newest Java; running it on Win 7. What am I
doing wrong?

Everything you said to this point is expected behavior. What are you
trying to do?

J.

Refer to pages 9-10 of the User Guide (Help menu → User Guide). The procedure you are describing is normal for the creation of a brand new live game.

If you are intending to join an already-existing live game in which someone else is online and waiting for you, you have to right-click the name of their game session and choose “Join Room”.