Independent, Non-linear UNDOs

Hi, Still have some printer problems, but I want to go on here.

I downloaded Demo2 and implemented the changes. A “End Movement” button shows on the top icon menu row. However, the units no longer carry the Return to Start with the right click. Something is wrong. I have checked and rechecked the settings. I believe everything is in order except it doesn’t work. I did notice that the " Change Value Control V" went from the top to the bottom.

Is there a limit to the number of traits that a piece can have? Maybe the trait list is too long.

Can’t remember how to load an image. download/file.php?mode=view&id=2341&sid=5b3eb89fb8ad34ec2b7[attachment=0]Image1.png[/attachment]72256899dde2c

Thus spake Charles McLellan:

Is there a limit to the number of traits that a piece can have? Maybe
the trait list is too long.

The GUI element which displays traits uses an array interally. Java
arrays are indexed using signed 4-byte integers, which means that you
cannot have an array in Java with more than 2^31 elements.

So, yes, there is a limit, but it’s almost certain that you are not
hitting it.

J.

OK, so I am no where near reaching the limit. I’ll do some more guessing.

If you still can’t find the problem, send me your mod as is and I’ll fix it up for you

In the process of writing all. Started well before this post. Will be done shortly. Missed some of the Java error information.

Problem: I have tried a number of times to reproduce the results achieved by Tim McCarron but have not been successful. I am attaching the module with which I have been working. I only set the Return to Start trait on two units, the 1st and 2nd German Infantry in hex TRC 0924.

The Return to Start option was not included on the list of traits displayed on the right click menu. Moving the units also did not bring the Return to Start option into the trait list.

Current Differences Between Models: The only intentional difference that I made in coping Tim’s work was substituting “TRC4a” for Tim’s “Map” in Game Piece Photo Definitions \ Return to Start \ Send to Location \ Return me back to where I came from \ Board.

Problems Encountered During Copying: On the first attempt to duplicate Tim’s work, I mistyped A “#” in the first position of “$CurrentlyY$” in the Game Piece Photo Definitions \ Return to Start \ Dynamic Property \ StartYLocation \ SetupInitialLocation \ New Value. A note identifying the error was displayed upon opening the module. I corrected the character in an edit of the module.

When first coping the "Reset the location [Global Key Command], the “Button Icon:” was “white” where Tim’s was “gray.” Selecting the default brought what appeared to be a small unit icon not from this module. Going then to “Select” brought an icon page off of my computer. I selected an icon, but nothing appeared. When I open the module, a report that the icon I had selected was not recognized by the module. I subsequently changed the image from “.ico” to “.png,” substituted the new image in the module image file and changed the “.ico” to “.png” in the module build file. That seemed to satisfy the module. On subsequent edits, the “white” reset button had changed to “gray” without any action on my part.

When saving the edit, the Save would not process. A “Java” window opened in the upper left of the monitor. I did not capture the information as to why. On a retry, a Save As… was forbidden in the location where the module was located (C:\ Program Files \ VASSAL \ mods) but allowed in a location under “C: \ Users \ Charles.” I saved there with a “TRC5” title. A VASSAL module with the edit changes was located at and subsequently loaded from that location.

After re-edits, I had problems saving and had to again Save As… This time as TRC6.vmod. This will be the attached module.

Attempts to Correct Results: I tried a couple of things in an attempt to duplicate Tim’s results:

I moved the “Initialize pieces” group up the tree to duplicate the position in Tim’s Demo2 module. Still didn’t bring “Return to Start” trait into menu. Returned the group back to the end position on the tree.

I changed the “TRC4a” “Board” to just “TRC” because the grid identification of a hex is for example “TRC4 0924”. It didn’t alter anything. I changed back.

Differences Between Modules: Differences that I note between the Deme2 and TRC4 modules that I didn’t change:

1. Of course, the map is different and there are many more units with different images and more traits.
  2. Tim’s module does not produce a log file. Moving units in the TRC4v2 module does.
  3. Tim’s units do not show a movement path. Moving units in the TRC4v2 module do.
  4. Tim’s works; mine doesn’t.

Possible Problems Between Models: In the TRC6 module there is a extra line preceding Game Piece Photo Definitions \ Return to Start \ Dynamic Property in both the StartXLocation and StartYLocation properties. This line is “CTRL V” trait and it does appear on the trait list. I have not tired to remove or shift the trait yet.

Data: My computer is a Dell Inspiron with a Windows 7, SP1 32 bit operating system with an AMD Semprus Processor LE-1300 2.30 GHz and 3.0GB RAM, C: of 596 GB with 262 GB free. Java is 7 Up-date 55 (build 1.7.0_55-b14). VASSAL is 3.2.8. Internet is Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.17105, Update Version 11.0.7 (KB2964358).

Other Concerns: When I went to attach the TRC6.vmod from C: \ Users \ Charles it was not there. There was a TRC5.vmod which was an earlier module that required the use of TRC6.vmod as a Save As… as the TRC5.vmod caused some Java conflict when Save was attempted. I also notice that there are three “temxxx.zip” files two of which seem to be VASSAL modules in disguise and one a VASSAL build file. So, I am going to attach just the TRC4v2 module from C: \ Program Files \ VASSAL \ Modules here, then the other four files from C: \ Users \ Charles in subsequent attachments.

Let me know if you need any more information.

The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.

Guess I try some other ways to add the attachments.

Email the files to me direct to get around the file size. We’ll get this taken care of for you. You’ve got my email from before :slight_smile:

As a general point, I would really discourage keeping your collection of VASSAL modules anywhere in the C:\Program Files hierarchy. C:\Program Files is a location intended for programs, but not data files associated with those programs. The VASSAL program itself is fine there, but individual modules are data, and should be kept elsewhere. A folder in your home directory (C:\Users\Charles) is ideal.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/File:TRC4v2.vmod TRC4v2.vmod from C: \ Program Files \ VASSAL \ Modules.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/File:TRC5.vmod TRC5 file from C: \ Users \ Charles

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/File:Tmp2979249757449415253.zip suspected VASSAL file from C: \ Users \ Charles

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/File:Tmp4485721568328777342.zip suspected build file from C: \ Users \ Charles

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/File:Tmp8843374889608235583.zip suspected VASSAL file from C: \ Users \ Charles

Whoops! Forgot to Save the open file with TRC4 substituted for TRC4a before attaching the TRC4v2.vmod.

PS: Is there anyway to dispose of VASSAL module files no longer needed? They might be taking up some space somewhere.

Point taken. I’ll establish an other location going forward.

Not sure that attachments of this TRC4 size will pass through my ISP. I believe that the largest that they pass is 5MB, these are currently substantially larger. Will reduce significantly before actually finishing the module. That is in the future.

Thus spake Charles McLellan:

PS: Is there anyway to dispose of VASSAL module files no longer needed?
They might be taking up some space somewhere.

You can delete a module file as you would any other file.

J.

Here you go. Fixed and added to all your units Russian and German

vassalengine.org/wiki/File:TRC5fixed.vmod

You had done everything right but missed one crucial thing - the last field in the Map dialog - yours was empty and why it wasn’t working properly - see attached image so you know where I was talking about

Well, that’s great! Now for me to try it.

By the way, just found the TRC6.vmod. It was on my desktop. I guess I had moved it there from Charles and forgot… I have changed the Board back to TRC4a and will try this thing again.

You guys are great.

I meant from the VASSAL module page where the test files were uploaded. How would I delete a file there or identify to you that the file could be deleted?

Let me know the ones you want deleted and I’ll remove them

Okay, I tried the fixed module but it didn’t work. The “Return to Start” trait wasn’t listed for the former example units.

On editing the module, I saw that the Prototype trait “ReturnToStart” was absent, so I added it to one unit.

Checking the module, the ReturnToStart trait was still missing from the unit in TRC5fixed.vmod.

Still seem to have problem getting that trait applied to units.

Did notice that the module version had been updated automatically from Tim’s “TRC5fixed.vmod” 3.2.6 to 3.2.8. Could that be a problem?

I think that I noticed that the CTRL V thing was missing from the Tim’s TRC5fixed.vmod but was still listed as a trait when I opened the edited module. Will check edit again.

Whoops, have to do other things for a while. Will go over all this tonight.

Nope updating shouldnt be a problem

The TRC5fixed works perfectly for me. The prototype “ReturnToStart” was added to the “common” prototype, which is already on all the pieces (therefore inheriting “returntostart”) so it does not need to be added to the individual pieces. I also removed movement trails from the “common” prototype because you said this was a feature you did not like.

If the CTRL V is gone from my module (which it is) but listed in the edited module then you aren’t looking at the same thing or mixing modules up