Jab5450's Modules

Sorry Men,
Try this one

mediafire.com/?sharekey=981b … bb40d49df6

Later

Hi,

A group of us are currently using your excellent Successors module for PBEM play. Thanks very much for your work on it!

However, one player has just played the Treasure City Looted card, and we can’t locate the looted marker to place on the looted city.

Is it not in the module, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Raphael
Los Angeles

right click the looted city

To: messages@forums.vassalengine.org
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 1:18:16 PM
Subject: [Module Support]Re: Jab5450’s Modules

Hi,

A group of us are currently using your excellent Successors module for PBEM play. Thanks very much for your work on it!

However, one player has just played the Treasure City Looted card, and we can’t locate the looted marker to place on the looted city.

Thanks!

Raphael
Los Angeles

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org (Messages@forums.vassalengine.org)
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Sorry, my bad :slight_smile: I had to go in and edit to see how I set this up
When the user plays the card, a menu pops up to select the city he wishes to loot. This changes the display state on the selected city to show that it was looted.

If the player did not see the menu selection (played card incorrectly) or cancelled it well…he messed up :slight_smile:

However, to rectify for your game, what you can do to fix this is: select the city that was looted and press ALT L

To: VASSAL Engine Forums Mailing List messages@forums.vassalengine.org
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 3:28:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Module Support]Re: Jab5450’s Modules

right click the looted city

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 1:18:16 PM

Hi,

Thanks!

Raphael
Los Angeles

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org (Messages@forums.vassalengine.org)

Ah, that’s what I needed! Thanks very much!

It wasn’t a mistake made before – actually, we’re having to trick the module because we’re playing with ACTS, so no card management is being used in the module.

This has caused a few problems but we’re squeaking by so far…

By the way, is there some list somewhere of keyboard shortcuts for this module? It sounds as if it would be extraordinarily useful.

Thanks again!

Unfortunately there is no list, you wouldn’t find that key and other similar
ones unless you go into the guts of the module via edit mode because it is
silent (not visible to players). The module wasn’t designed for use with
ACTS, so your pretty much left to winging it as you have been doing so far

OT, Im not sure why people find a need to use a 3pp when vassal already does
card management/tracking for you. Its akin to having Adobe acrobat
professional on your machine but still use Pdfedit (3pp) to do printing of
pdf’s when you can do the exact same in acrobat.

Is there something about card tracking / management in vassal that devs need
to know to make it more preferred or something?

It’s a good question.

When I first played a PBEM game with someone who suggested this approach, I was skeptical. It seemed needlessly complicated to use two services simultaneously for the same game.

However, I found that it creates more flexibility if you use ACTS for card management and rolls, and Vassal logs for everything else, including dialog during play via the chat window (the ability to replay a log step by step cannot be beat for simulating the face-to-face experience as closely as possible). If you record your card draws, plays, and dice rolls in ACTS, it is immediately established in the journal in your game, and noted for all players. So if you have to go back and redo your plays or record a different log, due to error, miscalculation, or even a crash, the random numbers from dice rolls are still recorded. Some people would argue that this makes redoing moves more “fair”, because it eliminates the possibility that the outcome would change if you have to reroll. It eliminates the possibility of cheating, if you play with strangers.

I know that there are many ways that you can “fairly” redo moves and logs with Vassal. And I can’t honestly recommend better ways of designing modules than some of the great modules out there now. It’s a subjective thing. To my surprise, I found that the ACTS/Vassal hybrid approach can really work, and I really favour it now. That might not be the case with others.

I’ve been playing Pursuit of Glory with this method for a few months now, and there have been many occasions when we were thankful we’d used ACTS. But it’s not a criticism of the PuG module at all. I’m sure it works great for people who want to use it alone for their games.

So this is more of a function of log files / history etc…
Useful information.

Joel, when the the new logging tools gets made, the history explorer we
talked about - it should probably incorporate these ideas that if one does
go back to certain point “x” in the tree and redoes a move, any dice rolls
recorded after that point still remain locked in, similar to what Raphael
describes here

Thus spake “raphaelt”:

I don’t follow what you mean about recording dice rolls to ensure fairness,
specifically when you say that doing so “eliminates the possibility that the
outcome would change if you have to reroll”. Are you saying that in the event
that a move has to be redone you keep the original rolls? That would seem to
me to grant a huge, unfair advantage to the person moving, knowing what the
next few rolls will be. Surely I’ve misunderstood your point?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org

Here are two examples of what I mean, both of which we encountered in our game of Pursuit of Glory:

1. A crash. My opponent is running a very unstable Win XP 64 which frequently leads to crashes. He was in the middle of recording a log with multiple combats when his system crashed. Because he performed the rolls in ACTS, he didn’t have to reroll when he restarted the log after recovering from the crash. Because ACTS is entirely separate from Vassal and his system, it’s “crash proof”. If he’d been forced to reroll, and the new rolls would altered the outcome of the combats, that wouldn’t have been fair (it might also be described as unintentional cheating).

2. Redos. We try to cover as much ground as possible in each log to minimize back-and-forth. Sometimes we misinterpret rules or forget a DRM or something in the middle of a long log which includes dice rolls, card plays, and other random factors. If one player made a mistake and needs to redo his log, because of rules mistakes and so on, often those mistakes have nothing to do with a combat or other dice rolls that may have occurred. If the log had to be started over, it wouldn’t be fair to reroll the dice because it could alter the outcome of the combat. But because the rolls were performed in ACTS, the log could be redone as much as we wished, without altering the random elements.

There are definitely ways to redo a log entirely within Vassal without altering random events like dice rolls. For one thing, you could play back the old log with the rolls into the new log, and then alter the mistakes afterward. Or you could just play back the old log, note the rolls, and then refer to them in the chat window in your new log.

However, for us, reserving ACTS for all these random elements just makes things easier and more flexible. We can redo logs, fix mistakes, recover from crashes, and other goofs, without worrying about card hands and other randomness being affected, and altering our game.

There are definitely times when you want to reroll – I think these situations are what were throwing you about my comment. But imagine doing a 3-Ops card play in Pursuit of Glory, moving one stack and performing combats with another two. Let’s say you do one of the combats correctly, but make a mistake with another, forget a DRM, mistakenly think you’ve won the combat, and go ahead and remove a bunch of counters and advance your troops. When the other player reminds you of your mistake, you could go back over your previous log and remember the dice rolls using the methods I mentioned above, or you could simply refer to your game in ACTS, recall the rolls, add in the DRM, and do a new log which accounts for the forgotten DRM and doesn’t delete all those counters and advance units.

For me at least, this method of fixing errors and redoing logs is much more efficient with ACTS. But it’s a subjective thing, and I’m quite sure other players would prefer other methods for fixing mistakes, without involving ACTS.

Hopefully that makes sense?

I have a new GBoA Collection Vmod posted at my mediafire page.
It includes all scenarios for all GBoA mods and the ones from C3i.

Enjoy

Regards John

What is the address?

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:30 PM

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org

Regards, John

Successors(GMT)
mediafire.com/file/qdzlzzbhz … II2_2.vmod

Conquerors:Alexander(GMT)
mediafire.com/file/tidmn2ndt … xander(2.4.Vmod

Great Battles of Alexander Deluxe (GMT) Collection(Includes Diodachi,Phalanx and Tyrant)
mediafire.com/file/gwygyjhyj … ection(6.6.Vmod

I’ve also added a new Vmod for Alexander the Great(AH/Gidion).
It includes the Gidion map for Issus,granicus and the strategic movement map.

mediafire.com/?xnnid2v1cjjv9

the mods is called AtG Battle System

Jab

I saw you were on the forum recently.

Does this mean you are back from the wild world of BF2142 ?

DavidA

Hi David,

Good to see ya!I’ll check back more often now I see your around.Turn on your skype and call me or leave a message I’m online a lot.

Later, John