just loaded Mac OS Catalina have a problem

Yan, how can “Contents/MacOS/jre/bin/java -version” be returning without printing anything? That’s very strange.

It was not executed properly, both commands were copied into the terminal, note how there is no “MacBook-Pro-de-Jorge:VASSAL.app jorgeiglesias$” before the second command:

MacBook-Pro-de-Jorge:VASSAL.app jorgeiglesias$ Contents/MacOS/jre/bin/java -version

Contents/MacOS/jre/bin/java -classpath Contents/Resources/Java/Vengine.jar -Xdock:name=VASSAL -Xdock:icon=Contents/Resources/VASSAL.icns VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager

Nope. Both commands were not copied into the terminal.

I copied one first and nothing happened. Then I copied the second one and nothing happened either.

Just done it again in two separate windows in case it made any difference. It didn’t.

Last login: Tue Jun 30 14:25:05 on ttys000

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.
For more details, please visit support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

MacBook-Pro-de-Jorge:~ jorgeiglesias$ cd /Applications/VASSAL.app
MacBook-Pro-de-Jorge:VASSAL.app jorgeiglesias$ Contents/MacOS/jre/bin/java -classpath Contents/Resources/Java/Vengine.jar -Xdock:name=VASSAL -Xdock:icon=Contents/Resources/VASSAL.icns VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager

Last login: Tue Jun 30 16:06:04 on ttys000

MacBook-Pro-de-Jorge:VASSAL.app jorgeiglesias$ Contents/MacOS/jre/bin/java -version

Thus spake borat:

Nope. Both commands were not copied into the terminal.

I copied one first and nothing happened. Then I copied the second one
and nothing happened either.

1. Don’t copy them. Retype them.

2. What is the output from

cd /Applications/VASSAL.app
ls -l Contents/MacOS/jre/bin/java
Contents/MacOS/jre/bin/java -version

?

J.

Last login: Tue Jun 30 16:09:40 on ttys000

MacBook-Pro-de-Jorge:VASSAL.app jorgeiglesias$ ls -l Contents/MacOS/jre/bin/java
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 jorgeiglesias admin 28512 22 jun 19:46 Contents/MacOS/jre/bin/java

No response to the final command. The terminal process goes into a loop and nothing else happens.

Also, try to start Vassal using the Java that is installed in the system:

$ cd /Applications/VASSAL.app

$ java -classpath Contents/Resources/Java/Vengine.jar -Xdock:name=VASSAL -Xdock:icon=Contents/Resources/VASSAL.icns VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager

If that doesn’t work, try it like this:

$ cd /Applications/VASSAL.app

$ java -jar Contents/Resources/Java/Vengine.jar

Flint1b, you are my hero!! Both commands worked and launched Vassal!!!

Funnily enough, launching Vassal normally by clicking the Vassal.app icon still does not work. Neither I can install any Java updates or have access to the Java control pannel. Any suggestions how to solve this?

Ok so it seems there is some issue with the bundled Java. Not sure how to fix that, we will have to see. For now you can start Vassal with these commands.

Your other questions, I’m afraid I cannot help with that at all, I have no idea how Java is installed on Macs, the installation procedure on my linux is completely different. But you already have the latest Java installed, right now your version 14.0.1 is the latest, there are no updates for that, maybe this is why updates cannot be installed? And what are Java updates anyways, there is only full releases, never updates. For now, don’t worry about anything, and once 14.0.2 or 15 comes out try installing that.

Same with the Java control panel, I don’t have anything like that on linux, I just have 5-10 different Javas installed side by side and one of them is the default but I can select any of the others manually. I remember that windows had a Java control panel, but what is it for? I am a professional Java developer and have worked with Java on windows computers for many years and never had to use this control panel. The only “control” that you need over Java is to select which Java you use exactly if you have several versions installed, and possibly set the JAVA_HOME environment variable although even that is rarely needed. I don’t think you need any of that.

Also, the best way to install Java is to not install it at all but just unzip it into some place manually and add its bin/ directory to the PATH.

Well, thank you very very very much once again.

If you ever happen to come by Madrid, let me know and I will buy you a beer!! :wink:

Well thank you for the offer, I will gladly accept if I come there some day!