Layer Inactive bug?

I think I found a bug involving the relationship between the invisibility trait of a playing piece and a map layer. In a nut shell, if you make a piece invisible to the opponent, save the game, then open the game you just saved, you can’t make the layer inactive that contains the invisible piece.

To demonstrate this I created a very simple module and logfile. The instructions about how to make this bug appear are in the logfile. You can get both files https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mo0m27gvwg5urbv/CupD9JT5GS

I use a Windows 7 64 bit PC and can provide additional system information if you need it but I assuming that this issue is not platform specific. I’m using VASSAL 3.2.11 and Java version 7 update 51.

Please let me know if I can provide more info. Thanks for checking into this for me.

Allan

Anyone else able to confirm this?

Thus spake BigAl737:

Anyone else able to confirm this?

When I open the log as Player B, I don’t have the ability to make
piece A invisible—hence I can’t replicate the problem you’re having.

J.

Rookie mistake on my part. I forgot to retire the player side. Fixed that now.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mo0m27gvwg5urbv/CupD9JT5GS

The vlog file will show you how the problem manifests itself. The vsav file allows you to take the Player A side and see if you can see the issue for yourself.

Thanks for checking into it and sorry for my mistake.

Al

Thus spake BigAl737:

Rookie mistake on my part. I forgot to retire the player side. Fixed
that now.

dropbox.com/sh/mo0m27gvwg5urbv/CupD9JT5GS

The vlog file will show you how the problem manifests itself. The vsav
file allows you to take the Player A side and see if you can see the
issue for yourself.

I can replicate the behavior you’re seeing. Why is this a bug?

J.

I think it’s a bug because the layer behavior changes after the game or log is saved and a new game or log is opened from that saved game. None of the other layer control options have this issue.

I use the “make layer inactive” game piece layer control to quickly hide all pieces on the layer from view. If that layer has hidden pieces, I can’t do that once the game is saved.

In the module I’m developing where this “bug” was discovered, I have planning markers that are placed on their own layer and hidden from view from the opponent using the “Hidden” trait. There are occasions where I’d like the planning markers to be hidden from the owning player while retaining visibility of all the other pieces on different layers. The most efficient way I’ve found to do this is to make the planning marker layer inactive. However, with pieces that have the “Invisible” trait, this layer always remains in view after the game or logfile is saved and a new logfile is started, regardless if the layer is active or inactive. It seems like that once the game is saved, vassal drops the ability to make the layer inactive whereas before the game is saved, the layer can be made inactive. I don’t think simply saving the game should cause this change in layer control, hence why I think this may be a bug.