Longest Day Unit graphics on iMac

I am running version 3.1.9 of VASSAL on my 24 inch iMac with 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo process, 4 GB of ram and using a ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro.

I tried to run the Longest Day module this morning (tld-0.1.1.vmod) and the unit graphics were incomplete. The symbols appeared but none of the other information, the text, was visible.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe Chacon

Thus spake “jlchacon”:

There’s a chance that you’re missing a necessary font. I won’t have time
to look into this until September.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thanks for your quick response. I will await September for more help.

In the mean time, what you mentioned made me think so I unzipped the .mod file and found the images folder. When I open one of the .svg files, I can see the unit counter text as a graphic in my browser. I have to admit, I have no idea of the function to combine the unit text with the symbols on the counters so do not think I can add much more info.

Additionally, I noticed I could open the module and it displayed properly when I use the webstart on my work computer. The webstart seems to open VASSAL version 3.0.17. I got the webstart version to open on my iMac but still had the same problem with the unit icons and the text.

Hope that helps and thanks for the interest.

Joe

Not much help here unfortunately, just another reference point. The counters display fine, including text, on my iMac (2 GHz core duo, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11, Java version 1.5.0_19, VASSAL 3.1.9).

The fonts specified in the .svg files are variations of “Nimbus”, none of which exist on my system. The actual unit symbols are references to a definition in another file (symbols.svg).

In VASSAL, on my system, the font used for the counters appears to be Lucida Grande, which is the system font and is also used as the default Java font (Java implementation thing, certainly). For some of the fortification counters, the text is a bit too wide for the counters (most likely a result of the font substitution).

Opening a few of the .svg files in my web browser (Safari 4.0.2), the text is displayed using Safari’s “standard font” pref. (neither symbols nor background color are displayed tho - Safari shortcoming, I suppose).

Mark

Thus spake “mluscher”:

The ultimate solution to this will be for VASSAL to get the ability to have
fonts embedded in modules. I intend to get to this sometime this fall, as
I’'m going to be starting a TLD campaign myself.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)