Map Shader Bugs

@Brent_Easton
Continuation of bug discussion from “Hex Grid - 1st column cut off” thread

1. (previously identified) - Map Shaders not working correctly on partial hexes

2. (new) - When using Map Shader, pieces no longer snap to correct location. First image shows counter (correctly) snapping to center of hex 0708. Second image shows counter (incorrectly) snapping to wrong location of shaded hex 0709.

Can you please send me a module and logs that highlights both these issues. The second issue is bizarre.

Thanks.

Brent - I’ll put the module in my Google Drive. Shoot me a message with your email so I can add you as a Viewer.

Any luck figuring out what is going on here?

Sorry, Have not had a chance to look at this yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Make the at-start stack pieces generating the shading Does Not stack, not selectable.

Unfortunately, I have at least 2 use cases for using shading and this won’t work for both of them…

I can set non-selectable for the background pieces that darken out unplayable hexes, but there is shading I plan to use for board control, which will rely on movable pieces.

They can be movable and selectable if you prefer, but making them non-stacking solves the problem you are seeing.

I’m running into a bunch more map shader bugs. Will update the thread in next day or two…

Vassal 3.7.7 WIN 64
When using a map shader on a piece, on a board using Vassal Grid, the shader does not obey the grid definition, but instead shades centered on the piece. Thus this only works correctly when the piece is centered in the hex.

Shader ignores map definition

Desired behavior:
Regardless of where piece is located in Hex-F02, all of Hex-F02 should be shaded (assuming Radius = 0), shading should be centered on the hex the piece is in, not the piece itself.

Thanks for the report.

I have reproduced this issue. It’s not related to Map Shaders, the Area of Effect displayed is always centered on the counter, so you get the same effect for non-map-shader AoEs when you use do not use snapping.

I think what you are after is a ‘Snap shade to grid’ option for the Area of Effect trait.

I’ve added an enhancement issue for 3.8.

Thanks Brent! Much appreciated… I’ll try to post some of the other wacky stuff I’ve seen, which I think (but not sure) is related to shaders… Hopefully tomorrow when I get home from work…

The other issues I was seeing may be unrelated to Shader bugs. Thanks again for taking a look!