Map shading border width

When using map shading set to Foreground on a map, I find that the Border Width control has no effect when used with an Area of Effect trait on a piece. The border always displays at a width of 1 regardless of the number I put in Border Width in the Map Shading properties.

Thus spake Gouka:

When using map shading set to Foreground on a map, I find that the
Border Width control has no effect when used with an Area of Effect
trait on a piece. The border always displays at a width of 1 regardless
of the number I put in Border Width in the Map Shading properties.

Please post a minimal test module showing the problem.

J.

Sorry for the necro-post, I have found the same problem. I think the issue is at line 391 of VASSAL.build.module.map.MapShader.java

stroke = new BasicStroke((float) Math.min(borderWidth * zoom, 1.0),

Should the min be a max instead?

It would be great to get this changed if possible, I love the map shading whereby the shaded areas join up and the border is drawn only around the union of the areas - I want to use this with 0% opacity of the shaded area but 100% opacity of the border, to easily draw perimeters around regions of control. It works now but the border is very hard to see.

1 Like

Great sleuthing @jxy!

What’s a good module for testing this change?

I’ve been doing this in an extension for VASL, not the main module, but that would tell me if it worked in the context I want to use it. However I don’t think there are any other counters currently in VASL using the Area of Effect trait and the border option, so it might not bring out any potential problems. Please let me know if I can provide anything or how I can do that testing?