Mask suppresses Text Label, ignoring trait order

Vassal 3.7.6 WIN64

I have a text label that I would like to visible on a piece, regardless of whether it is hidden/masked or not. However, regardless of whether I put the Text Label before or after the Mask trait, it hides the text label (for other players), when the unit is hidden.

WITHDRAWN - I created a simple module to test this and it works as designed in the test module. So something is flaky in my module.

2 Likes

So having done some investigation, it appears the root cause for this:

Although I put TEXT LABEL was correctly located so as not to be affected by MASK, the actual $property$ it was trying to display is buried deeply in a prototype that is affected by MASK.

Ideally, I need to be able to flag this (dynamic) $property$ as not needing to be masked…

Any possible way to do this (without a complete re-architecture)???

Solved it by generating the property that needed to be displayed such that the property was NOT masked.

Lesson - while a (masked) $property$ will not “cross the mask boundary” (i.e., can’t be seen by opponents when the piece is hidden), commands can “cross the mask boundary.” Thus, I had to ensure both the Text Display trait AND the associated $properties$ were on the right side of the “mask boundary.”