Movement Trail Trait Self Activating

The Movement Ttrail Trait appears to be activating randomly - all by itself. I use ctrl shift G to activate this trait, but even just selecting and moving a counter can activate the trait. Quite annoying really. Did a find search for ctrl+shift+G but this hotkey was not found to be anywhere else within the module, except of course for the Turn on/off movement trail trait. Perplexing to say the least.
Thoughts?
As an aside, the find function is really great. This function is really, really good for finding stuff in a module. Any chance of including a ‘replace with’ option?

I have a few thoughts and questions:

The editor’s Find functionality is indeed very useful. The List Key Commands option from the Vassal Tools menu is another method of looking for other Ctrl+Shift+G commands. I expect it should show the same results, but it is worth a look.

What do you mean when you say the Movement Trail Trait is “activating”? Are trails being toggled on and off? For one piece only, or for all pieces on the board?

Which trait command is the Ctrl+Shift+G hotkey assigned to? The Key command which toggles trails on and off used to be the only one defined, but the functionality of that command was arguably superseded by the other three commands that were later added (TURN ON, TURN OFF and CLEAR TRAIL).

Cheers,
Jim Hunter.

Had a look at the list key commands. ctrl+shift+G only appears for the Movement Trail Trait.

Players click on a counter to drag (move) it. The Movement Trail may activate and be visible. Does not happen all the time nor to all counters that have that trait. Seems to be quite random. But it does not turn off. That has to done manually.

Ctrl+shift+G is the Key Command/hotkey for the Movement Trail Trait.

Had a look at the list key commands. ctrl+shift+G only appears for the Movement Trail Trait.

OK, it was worth checking.

Players click on a counter to drag (move) it. The Movement Trail may activate and be visible. Does not happen all the time nor to all counters that have that trait. Seems to be quite random.

Might the following be occurring?

1. In a fresh game, with all movement trails initially set to OFF, you move a piece by dragging it, No trail appears.
  2. You select that piece and enter the Shift+Ctrl+G command to toggle movement trail visibility state to ON. Movement trail now appears.
  3. At the end of your movement phase, you press the “Mark Unmoved” button on the Main Map toolbar. This clears the movement history of all pieces, so all movement trails disappear, but the movement trail visibility state of all pieces remains unchanged.
  4. During your next turn, you again move a piece which has its trail visibility state still set to ON. The new movement trail appears immediately. This is expected behavior.

Blockquote
But it does not turn off.

I assume you mean that the trail remains visible. What action did you take which you expected to make it “turn off” (disappear)?

That has to done manually.

What “manual” action did you then take to make it disappear?

Note that the Shift+Ctrl+G command that you implemented just toggles the visibility state of a piece’s Movement Trail between OFF (trail not visible) and ON (trail visible), and that visibility state remains unchanged for all pieces after setting all pieces to “Unmoved”.

The toggle command by itself is not very useful, which is why the Movement Trail trait was enhanced to support three new commands (TURN ON, TURN OFF and CLEAR). I recommend changing your implementation to use those three commands instead.

If you’re interested, I provided some detailed instructions on such an implementation in this thread.

Cheers,
Jim Hunter.

I believe you have the proverbial nail on the head (with a large sledge hammer). The players are not turning movement trail off once they’ve done using it. I have added a GKC to the next impulse and final reorg phases to turn all movement trail traits off. I hope it will not add too much time to these processes.

I did read your article, but I’m retaining the CRTL+shift+G command. The movement trail trait is not used that much and having a global approach is, I feel, too much for this game (BTW World in Flames).

Many thanks for your probable solution though and for your time to ponder the whatifs.