Multiple images of interface triggered r-click on counters

Just got my computer rebuilt to following:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor, 3893 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 w/27” screen running 2550x1440.
VASSAL 3.2.17
Java Version 8 update 251, build 1.8.0_251-b08
Vassal Module – VASL 6.5

Discovered problem playing VASL 6.5 tonight. Don’t have log file because of how the problem interferes with game function enough to prevent such. Seems like a right click on a counter would provoke multiple, unstable images of the game interface. My internet connection was fine - on Skype clearly, but there also seemed to be some momentary lag also. Main room not that full either.

Running win10 same VASSAL-VASL-Java-GPU and resolution with old computer before motherboard went just fine.

My thought was something in the system utilities related to game acceleration and optimization messing with Java somehow.

Turned off obvious system utilities I could identify related to game acceleration.

My question is what kind of background process or system utility would mess with VASSAL and thereby VASL function like this?

Never have had problems with either before tonight.

I am seeing the identical problem with a completely different module (The Dark Valley version G02).

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
System Manufacturer Dell
System Model Alienware Aurora R8
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti w screen running 3440x1440.
VASSAL 3.2.17 OR 3.3.2
Java Version 8 update 261, build 1.8.0_261
Vassal Module – The Dark Valley (GMT) version G02

I see the problem with either 3.2.17 or 3.3.2.

It does not occur on my laptop. I’ve tried disabling things like GeForce HUD and such.

I attach an example of what it looks like. The main window is rendered three different times, with varying offsets. If I move the mouse around, it will continue overlaying additional images of the screen.

Minimizing and restoring the application window fixes it (until the next time I interact with a UI element).

Played on my laptop win10 no problem last night. My suspicion is this a bad mix between how a high end game computer operates being incompatible with an older java version - like I have to use at the moment for virtual advanced squad leader. Machine goes faster than program can handle maybe?

My friend also gets this problem and also on a “high end” Windows computer (oversized laptop in his case) and also has no issue on other machines. The problem recently seemed to go away; he was on Vassal v3.2.17 and is now on v3.3.2 but this probably isn’t what fixed it, if indeed it is fixed.

His post and another more recent one from someone else, seemingly same issue, along with developer’s take on it:

https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/screen-painting-issue/10746/1

https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/cannot-cope-with-vassal-multiple-windows-all-the-time/10459/1

Thus spake marktb1961:

My friend also gets this problem and also on a “high end” Windows
computer (oversized laptop in his case) and also has no issue on other
machines. The problem recently seemed to go away; he was on Vassal
v3.2.17 and is now on v3.3.2 but this probably isn’t what fixed it, if
indeed it is fixed.

If it changed for your friend between 3.2.17 and 3.3.2 on Windows, one
thing to consider is that also means a change from at most Java 8 to
Java 14.

If anyone is interested in troubleshooting this on a machine where they
can reproduce the problem, there are a list of Java options which affect
rendering here:

docs.oracle.com/javase/10/troub … erties.htm

What you would need to do to try these (which I would recommend testing
one at a time) is to run the Player manually in standalone mode:

java -classpath path\to\Vengine.jar VASSAL.launch.Player --standalone yourmodule.vmod

You’d insert the -D options on that page before “VASSAL.launch.Player”.
E.g.:

java -classpath path\to\Vengine.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false VASSAL.launch.Player --standalone yourmodule.vmod

If you find a single option (or combination thereof) which make a difference,
we’d be grateful to know what they were. We have no way of troubleshooting
this ourselves, so without testing from people who are having the problem,
there’s nothing further we can do.

J.

messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

Based on the above, I’m just going to play on my laptop until vasl get’s to an up-to-date version of java.

VASL 6.6.0-beta1 was released the week before last, so you could try it already:

gamesquad.com/forums/index.p … ed.158334/

If you’re still having a problem with painting glitches:

• Try disabling Direct3D if you’re using Windows. There’s a preference for it in VASSAL.

• Try a 3.3.4 test build (anything from today or later)

vassalengine.org/~uckelman/tmp/

with some of the JVM options listed here:

docs.oracle.com/javase/10/troub … m#JSTGD436

After the first time you run one of these builds, there will be a file called vassal.vmoptions in VASSAL’s config directory (~/.VASSAL on Linux, ~/Library/Application Support/VASSAL on Mac OS X, C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL on Windows) where you can add VM flags for the Player, one per line.

If you find a constellation of options which solves the problem, PLEASE let us know, as we have no way of troubleshooting this ourselves.