Need Video Card Help

First, let me start out by saying I know very little about video cards so don’t be afraid of offending me with any answers. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just got a new PC and not sure why but when I open a module to play a game all the graphics are about 25% bigger.

Some info:

Switched from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and both use onboard video cards.

Both display setting, i.e. old PC vs new PC, were 1920 x 1080 resolution and 100% scaling (can’t set lower).

Didn’t see anything else in the setting that would help.

So… should I get a new video card? If so, would something like NVIDIA NVS 310 help? That’s in the price range I’m thinking about. I don’t do any video games so don’t need any thing for those type of games.

TIA

Jim

I can’t think a new video card would help. Maybe it’s the text size setting under accessibility (and can be reached through a couple other settings panels). That can act similar to scaling.

edit: Did a quick test and I don’t think this would be it. It only changed the title bar size.

I doubt your new video hardware is the cause. What version of Vassal are you seeing this with?

Joel,

I had to keep a copy of VASSAL 3.5.8 due to a module that uses some custom code and opening a module with 3.5.8 or 3.6.6 have exactly the same size increase.

dwalls70,

I was hoping you might be on to something but I have the text set to the smallest possible.

Sigh… :slightly_smiling_face:

Not a really big deal.

Jim

Has the size changed for all the GUI elements? Just what’s drawn on the map? Something else?

Yes, everything is about 20 to 25% larger.

Is the Module Manager also larger, or just the Player?

It’s everything so I’m pretty sure it’s not just VASSAL. I just opened a spreadsheet for another reason and it too looks larger on the same monitor with my new PC and Win 11.

Oh, I see. Then it’s nothing to do with Vassal. This suggest different places to look for a problem.

Is this relevant? https://allthings.how/how-to-change-zoom-level-for-magnifier-in-windows-11/

Also this: How to adjust display scale settings in Windows 11 | Windows Central

It seems like there’s more than one thing which does scaling in Windows 11.

Shoot, thought you had something there but it only goes down to 100% which is the scaling I mention in my first post.

Maybe somebody who’s actually using Windows 11 themselves has a suggestion? This is all third-hand for me.

Hey Joel, thanks so much for trying. I’ll do some more searching myself later today. Time for breakfast. :wink:

A little more searching and it looks like there’s no way to get the scaling under 100%. It’s just strange why on my old PC with Win 10 and exactly the same 1920x1080 and 100% scaling it appears smaller.

Not anywhere near a life changer. :slightly_smiling_face: