New bugs in 3.6.6 for SW:Armada module

Tried to move the SW: Armada module over to 3.6.6, which caused 2 new bugs, 1 of which is game-breaking:

1. Deployment zone not working; this is an at-start stack of some white lines (layers) that are toggled with a GKC om the map. Curiously ONE of the layers (a white cross in the middle of the map) is visible, but none of the other lines are.
  2. When trying to move a ship (piece) on the map using the command to place the maneuver tool, the ship… vanishes, making the game unplayable…
    I’ve tried to check the release notes but can’t really see anything that explains this behavior.

This only applies to the module after being updated to 3.6.6 (from 3.6.5) with no other changes to the module than the update to new version.

What do you mean by “updated”? Updated how?

Opened it in 366 and saved it.

What are the exact steps for triggering each of the two problems?

1. Setup area designation: open a new game, push the button that sends GKC. Instead of all the setup lines appearing on the map (layers) only the “cross” in the middle is displayed (also a layer).

2. Drag a ship to table, try to place the maneuver tool (hotkey CTRL+Shift Left or Right arrow, alternatively CTRL+Shift + Alt Left or Right arrow). Instead of the maneuver tool appearing, the ship vanishes.

I can’t reproduce either problem.

I clicked the “6x3 setup area” and “3x3 setup area” buttons and got a white cross and some lines. If I zoom out more than 100%, the lines aren’t drawn.

I tried placing several ships and the maneuver tool appeared without the ship disappearing.

Curious. I will have to investigate further. Could be a few days until I have the opportunity.

I forgot about this…

It’s still a problem in 3.6.7 and 3.6.8

If you take SW: Armada module version 4.7.0 (the most recent), open it with any version after 3.6.5, start a new game, then hit the 6x3 setup area button (in the map window), a white cross appears (in 3.6.8) but none of the white lines that should be there to show the setup area. The same happens if you update the module to the most recent version of Vassal.

Zooming has nothing to do with it.

Not sure how it can work on your end. Every player that has tested 3.6.6+ reports the same issue.

The setup area is part of an at-start stack that toggles a bunch of layers that are essentially pngs of white lines.

The vanishing ship problem is NOT present in 3.6.8

I was finally able to reproduce the problem you’re seeing with displaying the setup area. It’s caused by commit 962e9893, which fixes a different problem.

I’m not sure what you’re seeing with 3.6.6 and later is even wrong, since the lines are so slender that I suspect they’re scaling out.

Having checked how you’re producing the lines, as 1px-wide images in piece layers, I’m now certain they’re scaling out. You cannot expect a line which is 1px wide at 100% to be visible at any scale factor less than 100%. You need to do this a different way.

OK.

Those lines are a legacy feature anyway, from way back in 2015, so could probably be done in a more efficient manner.

I’ll have a little brainstorming with myself and come up with another solution.

(or just use thicker lines)

Thanks!