I’ve downloaded the source code for VASL, VASSAL and CASL and created Eclipse projects which all build successfully (or appear to, no bugs reported) after some tweaking and following the instructions on vassalengine.org/wiki/doku.p … ipse_setup.
I’m trying to start the player so I can debug into the code to help understand it but it constantly crashes in the same spot which seems to be connected to a Chat.server (see stack trade below)?? Am I missing some basic configuration that is preventing me from starting the Player?
Apart from wanting to get involved with VASL one of the problems I have at the moment is my new Dell XPS Studio 16 laptop doesn’t have a NUM LOCK on the keyboard so I can’t move the counters using the keys.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
03 Dec 2009 13:06:54.756 0 – Starting
03 Dec 2009 13:06:54.762 0 – OS Windows 7
03 Dec 2009 13:06:54.762 0 – Java version 1.6.0_17
03 Dec 2009 13:06:54.762 0 – VASSAL version 3.2.0-svn4869
03 Dec 2009 13:06:54.762 0 – Player
03 Dec 2009 13:07:54.631 0 java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
There are at least two problems you’re having. One is that the trunk is
broken in several ways right now, so if you want to start working, you
should use the 3.1 branch. (This will be the case for a while yet, I’m
guessing at least until the end of December.) The second problem is that
the last released version of VASL only works with 3.0 right now. I don’t
know what the status of work on getting VASL ready for 3.1 is—it’s been
quite some time since I heard from Rodney about it.
Create a new Branch based on the 3.1 branch of VASSAL-src and work on your own branch. That way you can commit changes to your own branch with affecting the main 3.1 source.
You need to get a hold of the existing VASL module which you can extract from the VASL.zip local install package. It’s called VASL.jar in the VASL-5.8\lib\ directory. Extract it, rename it to VASL.vmod and put it somwhere known (say in directory C:/vasl).
In Eclipse, set up a Run/Debug configuration with the parameters
Project: The name of you checked out VASSAL source project
Main Class: VASSAL.launch.Editor
Program Arguments: --edit “C:\vasl\VASL.vmod”
VM Arguments: -Xmx512M
The VASL and CASL source projects should be checked out as individual Source projects and added as projects in the Build Path of your VASSAL source project.
Thanks, that information did help, plus I realised I needed to be using version 3.0.18 of VASSAL with VASL. Is there a section on the wiki for VASL development so I could update it with my lessons learnt?
I can now run and debug VASL so I can start playing with it. Good point about creating a new branch - I was going to stick with local changes only for now, but I will make sure I create my own branch asap.
Are there any docs around detailing any APIs?
And I’ve just realised I haven’t said this yet on the forum but good work, VASSAL is awesome.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get VASL to run on 3.1 VASSAL.
No, go ahead and create one. There is a Developers Corner page on the wiki, but it is (mostly) woefully out of date.
Only the code.
We aim to please, but are enormously understaffed (and underpaid!). Rodney is tied up these days and so there is no-one to look after VASL.
I maintain the custom code for VSQL, which uses some of the core VASL code, but I branched it off some time ago to prevent changes to VASL from affecting VSQL. You may want to check out VSQL-src and have a look at the CASL, VASL and VSQL packages and compare to what you have. I may have solved some of your VASL isues for VSQL already.
When I take VASL.jar and rename it VASL.mod to pass as a parameter to VASSAL for debugging it is using the CASL and VASL compiled code internally to the jar/mod file which is not setup for debugging.
Can anyone tell me how the VASL.jar file is created so I can re-create it using my code? Something must be used to package up all of the files in the jar, and add in the other files such as buildFile, info, data etc. but I can’t find it in the codebase.
You need to tell Eclipse to search the VASL and CASL projects first.
Change the order that libraries are searched in the Order and Export tab of the Build Path for the project. Move the VASL and CASL projects to the top. You can also try adding them as Bootstrap entries in the Debug Configuration Classpath tab.
i’ve been maintaining/updating VASL.mod for rodney since the release of v5.1. i’d send him the modfile, he’d package it for release at vasl.org/download.htm.
as best i can tell, a VASL.jar is identical to its parent VASL.mod, with the addition of 3 files in a META-INF dir that appear to be a sumcheck/integrity listing of all the files in the modfile. There’d also be added ~6 files in a dir named ‘Acme’, these look like they execute sumchecks against the files listed in the META-INF lists.
you can get VASL 5.9beta from vasl.org/beta/ , this is the latest release & runs under VASSAL 3.1.13. this is the current base for all my recent work, which is restricted to the buildFile & its imagefiles, i don’t know a darn thing about writing/compiling the classfiles.
do NOT play around w/ 5.9 under 3.1.12, use only 3.1.13.
5.9beta runs & edits free of VASSAL bugs under 3.1.13, but there are a # of probs in the VASL-specific classfiles that need fixing, list on request, hope i can help you with them.